Second Skin Audio

Please Help Me Design Box Fi Q 18"!

too bad I am a member on that forum and scott or nick seem nonexistant to my post.... also, noone has a box exactly like mine under the fi tech thead that i can find, fuck it i'll just use win ISD, i'm tired of trying to figure it out.

I''m just thinking too hard, that's what happens when u are a math/engineering major

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

well u got two suggestions for boxes so far, both under 7cubes like u wanted, and i bet amatt85 has been too busy to get back to ya, try his thread for a faster response if you havent already

yeah i know it does get frustrating sometimes with Fi, you just gotta plan ahead next time

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

well u got two suggestions for boxes so far, both under 7cubes like u wanted, and i bet amatt85 has been too busy to get back to ya, try his thread for a faster response if you havent already

yeah i know it does get frustrating sometimes with Fi, you just gotta plan ahead next time

i'm happy with the box design you guys reccomended.

i don't understand the 90 inch squared of port. Does that mean regardless of how tall my box is , the port will take up 90 square inches on the bottom board??? casue then the poort could vary depending on how tall my box is.

I'll tell ya right now my box will be 17-18 inches tall, 37.5" wide, and however many inches deep (external dimensions).... I just dont understand how to make the port of my box "crx style" like the picture on page one, and follow the 90 square inces of port....

lets make this easy

if you didnt have wheel humps and the bottom of the box was 37.5" accross, you could make it 35x3" or 105sqin but since u have wheel humps....

if you are building ur enclosure like in the picture than the port would be ~20" long and ~5" tall, giving you 100sqin port surface area, either way the length x height of port needs to equal around 80-110sqin

once you've calculated you internal volume and port surface area, you then lengthen or shorten port length into box to change tune frequency

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

lets make this easy

if you didnt have wheel humps and the bottom of the box was 37.5" accross, you could make it 35x3" or 105sqin but since u have wheel humps....

if you are building ur enclosure like in the picture than the port would be ~20" long and ~5" tall, giving you 100sqin port surface area, either way the length x height of port needs to equal around 80-110sqin

once you've calculated you internal volume and port surface area, you then lengthen or shorten port length into box to change tune frequency

so the ~100 sq. inches only referes to the hole size cut in the box and the lenght of the port depends on tuning?

winISD says if my port is 35x3" then the lenght of the port would be 35" (the 37.5" i quoted is between wheel humps), that will give me 30hz tuning for electromechanical parameters of an fi Q 18"

oooohhhh

well i was using it as an example, you also need to take into account the 1:8 rule

the l x w should stay in this ratio and no bigger

this ensures port velocity stays low

so u could do 3.5" tall port opening by 28" length on bottom of box

thats 98sqin

sounds like uve got the idea now

tune to 31 or lower

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

oooohhhh

well i was using it as an example, you also need to take into account the 1:8 rule

the l x w should stay in this ratio and no bigger

this ensures port velocity stays low

so u could do 3.5" tall port opening by 28" length on bottom of box

thats 98sqin

sounds like uve got the idea now

tune to 31 or lower

Awsome, i never knew about the vent mach rule of 1x8, that's cool though. i will do about 3.5x26, which will give me my ~90 sq. inches, and give it 32.75 length (according to winISD) - tuned to 30 hz.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOO MUCH for you patience, i'm kinda slow. :)

Hopefully it'll turn out pretty cool. The only part of the build i'm undecided on is how to finish the box. the only good carpet i can find is the stuff at best buy, but it is in smaller sections, so it'll be hard to make it look flawless. There isn't too much good (by good i mean thin, easy to bend, good charcole color) carpet to be found around the twin cities.... I may consider vynil, but that can look tacky on such a bix box. I don't have the money to texture paint or bedliner it i don't think.

my bad...i have completely forgot about this thread or i would have jumped in with some advice...but it looks like decaf took care of ya...and next time just post it in my thread...i always check that one and it will be quicker...

i likes me some audio stuff...