Second Skin Audio

Please Help Me Design Box Fi Q 18"!

Hey, I am getting my fi audio 18" w/BP option tomorrow. Spring break is coming up next week and I need to design a box before then. I have been looking all over the internet and contacting various people, but I can't seem to get a solid answer on what size box or port to use. I will be using bxi1206d for now and prolly upgrading to bxi1606d or kicker zx series soon. I have about 8 cubes to work with, but i would prefer more on the 6-7 range.

I know these subs like to be tuned very low, like 28 hz or something (even though that seems too low)... So IF ANYONE COULD TELL ME HOW MANY CUBES AND HOW MANY SQ IN FOR PORT that would be awsome!!!!! I want whatever will sound optimal. Maybe somewhere between SPL and SQ, maybe more on the sq side, doesn't really matter.

I am going to do sub up with double baffle, and port back on bottom. All inner port edges will be routered or maybe i'll slit and bend the mdf too. IT's gonna be a sweet build, look for pics. All i know is i havn't had any ideas on how to finish it (carpet, paint, naked, idk).

BTW, this guy is a wizard at box building and i may try to copy some of it:

http://audioforum.termpro.com/topic/8/26691.html

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

what are your dimensions, and how do you want the sub and port facing?

and i think that guy is also on here...iirc...

I have a 97 s-10 blazer. The box will be in the back and will form aroudn the wheel humps to maximize space and look better. The sub will be facing up (centered) and the port will be facing the tailgate at the bottom of the box. The port will go along the bottom of the box and 90 degree up the back if i need that much port.

I don't have exact dimensions between wheel humps and all, but i'll get that tomrrow.... all i'm looking for is like cubic feet and port size (i'm a wizard at math, so i can figure out rest, and i have WinISD beta)

I would really really like to get a hold of scott or someone at fi if they would be willing to give me ideas, but i'm sick of sending emails.... do they have a number???? it sure as hell is impossible to find on their site it seems like.

max dimensions please

7cubes

~100sqin port tuned to 30

id call it sq-sql

[i just finished 15q (no bp) 3cuft@33hz and it sounds like it could be tuned lower and bigger box but it sounds great!! 44-46hz sounds down right nuts!!]

Edited by decafcappucino

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

personally since u have bp power, i think u need to shoot for 8cubes or more.

u have stiffer spiders and its on a 1206d, which is probably 1000w rms, so the smaller the box the harder it will be the move that q, but if you plan on upgrading to a 16006d or eqiuvalent than a smaller box might yeild higher spl #'s

from the sound of the one i did they like to be tuned low and large boxes unless sealed

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

UPS MAN CAME TODAY!!!!!!

0304081226py3.th.jpg

0304081229vk4.th.jpg

HERE IS A SKETCH OF A POSSIBLE BOX DESIGN - I'M STILL DECIDING IF I CAN PULL IT OFF TO ACTUALLY LOOK GOOD , OR IF IT WILL LOOK DUMB

(i do want some speakers back there to play when i'm skate/snowboarding or for car shows)

subboxv1si6.th.jpg

Here are some dimensions i have to work with:

37.5" width between wheel humps

preffered 26" height or less(keeps it somewhat below windowling for dB drag points)

wheel humps are 10 inch tall, then on top of them i have an additinal 7" width on each side

personally since u have bp power, i think u need to shoot for 8cubes or more.

u have stiffer spiders and its on a 1206d, which is probably 1000w rms, so the smaller the box the harder it will be the move that q, but if you plan on upgrading to a 16006d or eqiuvalent than a smaller box might yeild higher spl #'s

from the sound of the one i did they like to be tuned low and large boxes unless sealed

the spiders are the same as a stock unit, the only difference is a chunk of aluminum that absorbs heat.

6.3 cubes 90 sq in of port they sound fine. been there done that about 5 times, lots of port area just makes them suck in the upper freqs.

Edited by Accordman

the spiders are the same as a stock unit, the only difference is a chunk of aluminum that absorbs heat.

6.3 cubes 90 sq in of port they sound fine. been there done that about 5 times, lots of port area just makes them suck in the upper freqs.

I like the size of 6.3 feet. So this will be a pretty good all around tuning? Just for reference, what tuning is it, so i can compare it to winISD for fun.

Either way i'll prolly go with it becaues i've heard from ppl that a smaller ported box is somewhat louder (like 6 is small, 8 is big). Thanks for input, and i encourage anyone else to throw in ideas as well.

Also, what do you guys think about my box design....? I'm also open to ideas