Second Skin Audio

Please Help Me Design Box Fi Q 18"!

32-33 is what ive been tuning them at. i had one in a 30 before and it lost alot of volume

so you personally have built boxes for fi q 18"s???

so i'm looking at 6.3 cubes, and 90 sq. inch port, will give me tuning about 33 hz. Sounds like a good combo. Seems like you have experience wtih this setup?? How many watts have you seen run to them. I only have a hifonics 1206d which is about 1000rms. What have you seen run to them?

btw, thanks a ton for the help!

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus

the spiders are the same as a stock unit, the only difference is a chunk of aluminum that absorbs heat.

6.3 cubes 90 sq in of port they sound fine. been there done that about 5 times, lots of port area just makes them suck in the upper freqs.

straight from fi:

I just finished adding a new option for the SSD and Q series subs.

This new option adds a machined aluminum compression plug to the pole which helps channel all of the air under the dustcap around the coil for better cooling. To aid with this increased airflow we also add 6 axial cooling channels in the top plate. Along with increased thermal capacity comes the addition of an extra spider and a changed spider pack for a little extra mechanical ability.

All of these new features increase power handling from 200-500 Watts depending on the application.

Its just another way of tuning and tailoring your subs to your exact needs.

Thanks...

Scott

and

Very little {has changed in the subs}. There is a little spec change on the drivers as we are adding a little more suspension stiffness (although we are swapping stiff spiders out for more soft ones too). The subs stay a little closer to their original suspension values and have a slightly increased qts, fs, and reduced vas. Not too much of an issue and I have found it to be beneficial in mst bassrace setups.

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

im just saying hes got bp power too so they are stiffer and the can take up to 10cubes so i wouldnt hurt to make the biggest you can when ur talking about 6-10cubes allowed and it might only be on a 1206

just my .02cents

and ive made two boxes for 15 q's, not 18's, in eclipse and grand am

and two boxes for 18" ssds in navigator

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

ive got 17 boxes between the 2 18 Q's and 4 SSD 18s ive done and to damn many to count on the 15s.

so you were right its a little stiffer, i still stick with my original box. i wont ever recomend 10 cubes for a q they get sloppy in a 8 cube.

Edited by Accordman

the biggest thing i noticed is what you mentioned accord (and da*n on how many boxes uve made)

the bigger the box the less notes it plays well, after about 65hz its downhill when we did ssds in 16cuft net compared to 16cuft gross (came out to 12cuft)

i guess im trying to work on two problems at once:

1st is get mroe powar to the q with bp, thats what its for, lots of power and lots of beating (hence the reason i sd go bigger, since it should offset the lack of power/stiffer spiders.... im also guessing the stiffer spiders allows for bigger boxes without "getting sloppy" as fast as without bp...

but everycar is different so it might take a couple boxes to find one that sounds right to you

(accordman is a testement to this obviously..haha)

on a slight side note... has anyone put a 18q in a ~10cuft box w/120 sqin port or more

TeamSundown-sig.jpg

I discovered google sketchup today, here is a conceptual sketch of my box - nothing is really to dimension, and i'm a noob at this program (this is what i could come up with in 20 mins)

subboxso1.th.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

1st place circuit city car/spl show (maplewood,MN) 2006

146.6 dB's with 2 12" L7 and 1606d brutus