Second Skin Audio

ideal sub fs for t-line enclosure?

1two3

You have to either alter port dimensions to allow a wider port, build a "chamber" for the sub or invert mount the sub.

It isn't that easy with a line because there is a limit to how narrow it can be. Therefore, there is a limit to how deep it can be. And loading chambers complicate the design entirely too much for most applications.

What are max dimensions? Because about 70sqin @ 6.5x9.5 port 100 inch line would be right about perfect. Just do a double baffle or extra baffle for the subs like you mentioned.

I don't know the dimensions, as it's not my sub or my build. But 6.5*9.5 is not 70, it's 61. And most tens are gonna be more like 52-55in² of Sd, which is a lot smaller than even 61.

Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc

Instagram: audioanarchyllc

Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe

aaresizehorizontal_zps47821bb2.jpg

LOL. That's the hell of building t-lines. They're basic math simple to calculate but fitting that long assed tube into the average vehicle while fitting a sub in the tube is a complete pain in the ass.

But there's a super simple solution to your problem. Actually, a couple.

First... you could invert the driver.

Second... you could build another layer of baffle for the sub to sit on. Doesn't have to be a full length baffle either.

Oh and duh... I have a perfect example of number two. I forgot to take videos today but here are a few pics of the line in Brandon's car. I had to add 1/2" to the face for these little beasts to fit in the line and cool properly...

oh yea thats right! i do remember seeing on of ur boxes like that. i think it was the white or grey one with a jbl 12 in there if i remember correctly. awesome box that one was.

id like to do something simular to that one rather than invert. i was thinking of somehow doing a removable speaker cover like they do on home theatre. but first things first i have to do the rest of the box first :P

i was thinking 10" x 6"....that would have fit the space i have perfectly, is that gonna be too much u think?

Car: 2000 Honda CRV

Battery: XS Power D5100R

Alternator: Stock 90A

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-X9500BHS

Front Speakers: Alpine Type S

Rear Speakers: JBL GTO 628's

Wires: All Knu 4g. Soon to be 0g. Big 3 in 0g

Volt Meter: SMD VM-1

Amps: Rockford Fosgate T400-2, T1000-1bdCP

Subs: 2 SSA XCON 15's Sealed

Tint: Privacy glass + 5% in the back and 25% in fronts

What do you mean 10 by 6? If you mean line area, yes, that's too much.

Damn bbeljefe, If I ever need help with a T-line I am coming to you, lol

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Crap! Yea Thats what I was planing.

I'll sketch up some new plans soon with the more proper dimensions. What's usually the size of the buthole of the sub's? ( my sub's at my parents place so I can't check to myself ATM) and what do u think of using sonotube for 45's?

I'll sketch up some new plans soon with the more proper dimensions. What's usually the size of the buthole of the sub's? ( my sub's at my parents place so I can't check to myself ATM) and what do u think of using sonotube for 45's?

Pole vents are various sizes. I would bet your sub has about 1/2-3/4" vent. And I'm fine with using Sonotube for corners. I don't think you'll gain anything appreciable over the typical 45° but that's your choice.

As for the line area, we may need to revisit how to calculate it so you can get your next design correct. Line area = driver Sd. Your 10 probably has about 54in² of Sd but you need to measure it. This measurement is from center of surround on one side to center of surround on the other and it is the piston area of the sub. You then take that diameter and use πR² to find Sd.

Let's say your sub measures 8.5" in piston diameter. The math would be: 4.25 x 4.25 x 3.14159 = 56.75in² If your minimum internal width is 9" (due to driver mounting accommodation) then your depth has to be 6.3" or, ~6 3/8"

And just as an FYI... I've been successful with reducing line area up to 8% but increasing line area would not be good as I understand things.

Pole vents are various sizes. I would bet your sub has about 1/2-3/4" vent. And I'm fine with using Sonotube for corners. I don't think you'll gain anything appreciable over the typical 45° but that's your choice.

As for the line area, we may need to revisit how to calculate it so you can get your next design correct. Line area = driver Sd. Your 10 probably has about 54in² of Sd but you need to measure it. This measurement is from center of surround on one side to center of surround on the other and it is the piston area of the sub. You then take that diameter and use πR² to find Sd.

Let's say your sub measures 8.5" in piston diameter. The math would be: 4.25 x 4.25 x 3.14159 = 56.75in² If your minimum internal width is 9" (due to driver mounting accommodation) then your depth has to be 6.3" or, ~6 3/8"

And just as an FYI... I've been successful with reducing line area up to 8% but increasing line area would not be good as I understand things.

ok great, thanks for explaining that to me. unfortunatly this design will have to wait a couple of weeks but i will deffinatly do it. theres a few things that have to fall into place before i can get started on this

thanks again tho, uve been incredibly helpfull!

My pleasure. These things can be a pain in the ass to design but in my opinion, the sound quality and efficiency more than make up for the trouble.

Archived