Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 I've read and learned from this forum for a long time just never posted anything as I feel like all the appropriate info is given by the fellow users of this board. First of all, my setup is an Alpine Type R 10D4 (newest gen) powered by a Rockford Fosgate Prime 1200D in a rear console slot ported box tuned to 34 Hz. Having a single 10 that lacks major excursion among other factors didn't allow me to really hit anything below about 40 Hz or so plus I was getting port noise on the higher end of the spectrum so I had the box lined with polyfill. By doing this (and this is just my own personal experience), the bass sounds a whole lot "fuller" as well as a lot cleaner. And now I am able to hit notes closer to 30 Hz at the expense of a little less top end punch. It also virtually eliminated the port noise I was experiencing. Cliff notes: Adding polyfill really aided to the SQ of my system as well as giving it a more wholesome "boomy" sound without taking away any of the punchiness 10's are known for.
Guest Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 your port noise and frequency bandwidth issues are caused by the port being way too small
Guest Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 there is no such thing as 10s having more punch or whatever than bigger woofers. or bigger woofers being more sloppy or boomy than smaller woofers. it's a myth
Omega5002 Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Too small of a port can cause what's call Port CompressionHere's a quote from Subwoofer-builder.com"The reason a ported speaker works is because the air in the port causes a 180 degree phase shift in the air behind the driver. When the air comes out of the port, at least at the tuning frequency, it is in-phase with the front of the driver, giving a boost to the output. As air in the core of the port becomes turbulent, this phase shift decreases, thus reducing the in-phase contribution made by the port. The total output of the box no longer rises at the same rate as input power is increased, and the port is said to be compressing Eventually the port acts as a mere hole in the box, short circuiting the acoustic output of the driver and allowing excursion to become uncontrolled." You need to make sure you have proper port velocity so the port can function correctly to be musical 2003 Kia Sorento Team Subsonic LowsTeam Bassin' on a Budget2016 Rebuild Under Construction Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)
Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Author Report Posted November 23, 2013 Thanks for the replies guys. there is no such thing as 10s having more punch or whatever than bigger woofers. or bigger woofers being more sloppy or boomy than smaller woofers. it's a myth Based on my personal experiences, the larger the cone (to an extent), the harder time it has keeping up with quicker, repeated bass notes. However that could be due to the box I suppose. Too small of a port can cause what's call Port Compression Here's a quote from Subwoofer-builder.com "The reason a ported speaker works is because the air in the port causes a 180 degree phase shift in the air behind the driver. When the air comes out of the port, at least at the tuning frequency, it is in-phase with the front of the driver, giving a boost to the output. As air in the core of the port becomes turbulent, this phase shift decreases, thus reducing the in-phase contribution made by the port. The total output of the box no longer rises at the same rate as input power is increased, and the port is said to be compressing Eventually the port acts as a mere hole in the box, short circuiting the acoustic output of the driver and allowing excursion to become uncontrolled." You need to make sure you have proper port velocity so the port can function correctly to be musical Thanks for the info. Yes I know my port isn't necessarily ideal in size but I literally have the worst vehicle possible as far as room for subs. That is unless I take out my back seat and do a wall or something lol. But by adding the pollyfill, it seemed to help offset the fact that the port is a little too small and did eliminate the port compression I was initially having.
Krakin Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 I drive a single cab truck, think you got it bad? Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Omega5002 Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 Thanks for the replies guys. there is no such thing as 10s having more punch or whatever than bigger woofers. or bigger woofers being more sloppy or boomy than smaller woofers. it's a myth Based on my personal experiences, the larger the cone (to an extent), the harder time it has keeping up with quicker, repeated bass notes. However that could be due to the box I suppose. It's always the box, I've heard punchy 18' setups and sloppy 10' setups, it doesn't matter how big the woofer is, you need to accomidate the correct box for it. 2003 Kia Sorento Team Subsonic LowsTeam Bassin' on a Budget2016 Rebuild Under Construction Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)
Parker Smith Posted November 23, 2013 Author Report Posted November 23, 2013 I drive a single cab truck, think you got it bad? Haha I can guarantee you have more space than me without me taking out my backseat lol
Guest Posted November 23, 2013 Report Posted November 23, 2013 "slow" box dictates how the woofer plays. shitty box, shitty sound. simple as that. edit: thats me getting a demo. every 12, 15, 18" woofer setup i've heard thats in a proper enclosure sounds perfectly fine.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.