Sonic Electronix

Sound Deadener.. Is it worth it?

To the OP, and anyone looking to deaden vibrations and rattles, I would highly recommend looking into FatMat. It's relatively cheap compared to the others (dynamat, qmat, second skin, etc). It's 100% butyl backed, NO TAR! .8 mm thick (thicker than most). Just as easy and plyable to work with as the thinner versions.

I started out with 50 ft for trunk, and recently ordered another 50 for front doors and cabin.

I think it was something like $79 shipped for 50 ft from Amazon.

50 ft was enough to do my entire trunk (including spare tire well) and 2-3 layers on the trunk lid.

But for 8s I would even go as far to say 25 ft might be enough to be effective, just to get the key rattle spots.

Even if you plan on upgrading in the future, you can always add more as you go.

As for tar backed roofing material, do yourself and your ride a favor and just don't! Its being penny smart but dollar stupid if you ask me.

I too was on the fence about deadener in the beginning, and did countless hours of research and gathering feedback before finally pulling the trigger, and I will tell you, i will never go back to not using it.

Hope all that helps, and if anyone has better suggestions I am open to hearing those too.

Cheers!

JN

i used fat mat a few years back.. even after cleaning with the soap they sent me it failed to stick to the panels.. was hanging from my trunk lid just after minutes of applying it.. i used dynomat and worked better.. i now use second skin and really need less than 3 layers on the trunk lid. 1 layers of second skin vs 3 layers of fat mat i will say i will stick with second skin

i used fat mat a few years back.. even after cleaning with the soap they sent me it failed to stick to the panels.. was hanging from my trunk lid just after minutes of applying it.. i used dynomat and worked better.. i now use second skin and really need less than 3 layers on the trunk lid. 1 layers of second skin vs 3 layers of fat mat i will say i will stick with second skin

That's interesting... FatMat is extremely stiff and rigid right out the box, but once hit with heat gun and butyl got warm, they molded and adhered nicely and easily.. I didn't have any issues of it falling off or anything like that (been in for almost a year now). But that's just my personal experience.

Second skin would've been my second choice, but having liked the FatMat, I never tried it.

Ill have to keep that in mind for future builds tho, thanks Miguel.

i love my stinger mat! but is anyone running fat mat? dont mean to Jack this thread but found 100sq ft for $150 I'm worried that it's asphalt or just junk, but 100sq ft of 80mill deadner for $150 come on!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

i love my stinger mat! but is anyone running fat mat? dont mean to Jack this thread but found 100sq ft for $150 I'm worried that it's asphalt or just junk, but 100sq ft of 80mill deadner for $150 come on!

Read my previous posts... I swear by it.

It does give off kind of a "rubbery" smell in the beginning, but goes away after a couple days, or hours if you leave it outside on a nice day. (I didn't have that luxury at first). But it's not tar, 100% butyl.

When I was younger I put that roofing stuff in my trunk... I think it's called flashing(something)

Anyways...

It definitely works. I wouldn't do it now because looking back on it the amount I had to use to cost ratio (and it smelled funny for like a week or two but went away completely)

Would have been the same as strapping down and buying sound deadner

I used Fatmat, it sticks good but was thin compared to some others I have tried. I use lots of Dynamat Xtreme, works great, but for the price there is much better out there (or more for same price). Recently I've used Second Skin damp pro, very sticky and very thick, worked great, but very pricey. There is tons of threads on all of the Sound dampeners out there already. I have tried a few others but I still have more I have yet to try. I have used that Peel N Seal before also, stinks and is thin and doesn't stick well, never using again (that was long time ago) To use up the last I had I used it on my license plates and as second layer on the bottom of interior so it would have the wight of everything holding it down.

There is no doubt adding these types of things prevents a lot of rattle from the bigger panels on a vehicle.

2007 Chevy Tahoe (SOLD)

12 ~ FI Audio X series 10" w/BP option

2 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @0.67

3 ~ DC Audio 5.0K @1.0 

2 ~ PPI 3 way sets (not installed yet)

1 ~ RF T400-4, 1 ~ RF T600-2, 1 ~ RF T600-4

4 ~ CT Sounds 5.25" Strato comps  (rear fill only)

1 ~ XS Power D4800

1 ~ XS Power D3400

8 ~ XS Power XP3000

160 stock alt, Mechman 370 Elite, 185 DC Power

320+ Sq. Ft. Sound Deadener

Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS

Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/knfjdkghjudfhsgkjdhf/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

well they have fat mat 80mill 100sq ft for $150 And fat mat 100(or 120mill can't recall off the top of my head) 100sq ft for $200. is the extra couple mill worth the $50? couldn't care less about the smell, smoked cigs for years couldn't smell it if i huffed it! lmao more bass is more bass...

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Is second skin thicker than FatMat? I have the 80 (FatMat rattle trap, the regular is 50 I believe) and at the time that was one of thickest I found online (including second skin).

*I might have to give second skin a whirl in the future, see what all the hype is about.

I didn't know they made a 120 thick, so I couldn't really give a definitive answer, but I would say no, just go with the 80 and if you need a second layer on bad spots then so be it. That's just my opinion and what i would do, but I don't know your setup or budget..

my set up.. well it isn't actually there yet! lol.

i have all the equipment! but I'm selling my car, so its all being pulled out of my car slowly. gear ct 1400.1, type r 12s(4th gen) decent jvc hu, about to get kenwood flip out with brain, good component speakers all jl. 00g wire. soon buying second battery, and ct 60.4 for mids.

to me $50 bucks is $50 bucks I'm not stressing that, but i agree i could just double it up.

I'm.just trying to buy everything i can while i can! hopefully I'm have everything.buy the time i pick a new car, then take a week off from work to do the install! plan on 2 dc lv 4 15s later, then another ct 1400 and another 2 dc 15s.. that won't be till next year Tho

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

lots of great stuff