Sundown Audio

mounting an amp to the box

MACnonsence6

Ok guys I just ordered a audiotechnix 800.1 now after my ap1500 blew up I've been trying to think of why I'm pretty sure the input side is what blew although not sure why being voltage was 13 when it died but I don't wana have any similar issues with my new amp and I don't really have any other place to mount the amp then the box which takes up 99.5% of my trunk any advice on ways to mount an amp to an enclosure safetly and not have to worry about things

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

I had the same problem, no space to mount to anything else, and i too fried my amp (autotec MM4000.1d) from bad vibrations (broke 6x output FET's and a resistor).

To prevent this from happening again i did the following:

purchase 10mm thick YOGA mat (closed cell foam, cheap from Walmart in the form of a yoga/excersise mat)

Cut out foam to fit the back of the amp, repeat (to have 2x pieces)

build an amp rack (for me it was just a piece of pine shelving that my amp could screw too insead of the box)

put the foam on BOTH sides of the amp rack.

Cover amp rack (if you want, i used felt for temorary-ness)

get some washers, rubber washers/small rubber rings, screw amp rack to box w/screws.

Mount amp to rack using the rubber washer/ring combo to help isolate amp from box.

enjoy!

TLDR:

get some closed cell foam (Yogamat from walmart, 10mm)

put some behind amp (the more the better)

screw amp down with rubber washers.

done.

I fixed my amp, did this and havent had any problems since.

Note, this will help the most with vibrations perpendicular to the amp, IE stopping the amp from pulling away from the screws, it does little to help with parrallel motion, ie amp sliding on the board.

Its wierd cause I have a mad old duel 4 Chan that I've mounted to countless boxes and it still runs fine

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

i have big 3 done with 1/0 knu cca . then a run of 1/0 to the back with an inline 150 amp fuse. then i have a kinetik 600 that is grounded also with 1/0 knu cca 4g directly from there to amp. also have 4 from there to a 1 farad cap then to a duel 4 chan as well as 4g running from the 600 to another 1000 cca regular car battery. my voltage meter is next to the deck so its more like 18' from the amp. also leads from the voltage meter are directly in the inputs for + and -. it was tuned with out any special equipment with gain all the way down. " deck has 5v outs"

the ct sounds will be replacing it with everything just as listed above

Archived