Second Skin Audio

Burning Voice Coil Smell Help...

a21cuda

Did you set your deck with -0 first? And turn your subsonic all the way down / low pass all the way up when using -10?

Check voltages at the amp too.

Chances are -10 is a bit too aggressive of a setting for the music you play and the equipment you run. You can try -7.5 (link in my sig) or -5. But I want to rule other things out first

I did tune the deck with the 40hz tone but not the 1khz tone, and where are the settings for a subsonic filter or low pass? Are they on the deck? Because the amp doesn't have either of those. So no, I didn't turn the subsonic down or the low pass all the way up.
I don't think I have ever seen a newer style amp without those 2 settings.

Vehicle: 2014 GMC Sierra 2500HD WT

Head Unit: Pioneer DEH-

Mids/Highs: Focal Integration ISC 165’s (front) 

Subs/Amps: TBD

If you smell it its burning

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

In your last thread you were given advice and ignored.it. now you come back with the same problem ever think about tsking that advice

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

use 0db, both 40hz and 1khz on headunit. stick with lowest distortion free volume out of the two tracks.

use -5db on the amp.

The reason I didn't test it with the 1khz track is because I would have to pull the dash to get to the Headunit, and I don't really understand how to test the Headunit if you don't have an amp powering your speakers.

There is a difference between burning coil smell and residue burn off. Go take a grinder to a piece of metal and that smell is just like electrical burning. It's very distinct.

You plug rca's from HU straight into the DD-1 to test the HU w/o an amp.. Have you ohmed out your sub yet? I wouldn't go as far as saying the vc is burning yet bcus you haven't had it in very long. it is common for some subs to have that smell when they're new but if you did something wrong while tuning then you are burning the coil..

use 0db, both 40hz and 1khz on headunit. stick with lowest distortion free volume out of the two tracks.

use -5db on the amp.

The reason I didn't test it with the 1khz track is because I would have to pull the dash to get to the Headunit, and I don't really understand how to test the Headunit if you don't have an amp powering your speakers.

You can test your headunit through your amp, or just plug the RCA going to your amp into the dd-1. No need to pull it out of the dash. I feel like ive said this before

Archived