Second Skin Audio

Burning Voice Coil Smell Help...

a21cuda

I'm back again with this problem. 1 12" Kicker L7, Kicker ZX 750.1 amp, and I was only playing my sub for about 15 minutes off and on today, not going past the volume that I tuned it to with my DD-1 and it started smelling horrible like a voice coil burning. Once again, this sub is pretty new, only has about maybe a full week of use on it so I guess it could be excess glue burning off, but I would turn it up and it would smell and I would turn it down... I started to think maybe I was distorting it, but then I played the -10db test track that I tuned it with that showed absolutely no distortion and it was still smelling! The sub is not hot, not even warm, the amp is not hot, there are absolutely no signs of a blown sub! What should I do? I'm afraid to turn it up anymore because of the smell.

Have you tested the sub with a dmm? see what your ohm reading is.. Dumb question but did you get the 40 Hz light on DD-1 when testing setting amp? Sometimes new subs have that smell as you know already,how long have you had it and where did you get it from?

Have you tested the sub with a dmm? see what your ohm reading is.. Dumb question but did you get the 40 Hz light on DD-1 when testing setting amp? Sometimes new subs have that smell as you know already,how long have you had it and where did you get it from?

I haven't tested the sub with a dmm. The 40 hz light did come on when I tested it. I've had the sub for about 2 months now maybe, but it is not in my daily driver so it really only has about a week of play time on it, and I bought it from Sonic Electronix.

if its only a week that maybe it I do know new subs will have a burnt smell for a while

02 dodge ram 1500 reg cab 3rd gen

2 sundown sd-2 d4

soundstream rub1.2500 amp

all sky high car audio-fuse,fuse holder,wire,ring lugs and rca

flex tech

box design by Joe X

supension-mcgaughys 2in drop spindal ,western chassis 6in flip kit,buddy custom c-notch

04 5.7l hemi motor swap and made it an slt eletric everthing

youtube channel-http://www.youtube.c...43?feature=mhee

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/190882-02-dodge-ram-1500-3rd-gen/

I haven't tested the sub with a dmm. The 40 hz light did come on when I tested it. I've had the sub for about 2 months now maybe, but it is not in my daily driver so it really only has about a week of play time on it, and I bought it from Sonic Electronix.

test your sub wires that go to the amp(take off amp first) or just take it out the box which is better anyways and make sure your ohms read correct to whatever ohm sub you have.If it reads correct then just play it a little longer to see if the smell goes away. If it's off then you need to contact SE about it,tell them your gains were set with the DD-1,they'll know what it is since they sell it.

As said be safe tet your sub. But as said before kickers are know for having that burnt smell with new subs. It's burning off the excessive oil residue on the coil. You can contact Brett and verify it with him.

truthsayer

As said be safe tet your sub. But as said before kickers are know for having that burnt smell with new subs. It's burning off the excessive oil residue on the coil. You can contact Brett and verify it with him.

I actually live 30 min from the Kicker factory, so I guess I could run down there this week and talk to them. I'm just getting tired of always being worried about this and not ever knowing if I'm doing any damage to my equipment or not. I would think since I played the -10db track that I tuned it with and it was smelling bad like that it's not actually the coil burning, because it is smelling bad on a track that I know has no distortion, but maybe I'm wrong.

Did you set your deck with -0 first? And turn your subsonic all the way down / low pass all the way up when using -10?

Check voltages at the amp too.

Chances are -10 is a bit too aggressive of a setting for the music you play and the equipment you run. You can try -7.5 (link in my sig) or -5. But I want to rule other things out first

Did you set your deck with -0 first? And turn your subsonic all the way down / low pass all the way up when using -10?

Check voltages at the amp too.

Chances are -10 is a bit too aggressive of a setting for the music you play and the equipment you run. You can try -7.5 (link in my sig) or -5. But I want to rule other things out first

I did tune the deck with the 40hz tone but not the 1khz tone, and where are the settings for a subsonic filter or low pass? Are they on the deck? Because the amp doesn't have either of those. So no, I didn't turn the subsonic down or the low pass all the way up.

Archived