Sundown Audio

2 2500 watt amps vs 5000 rms

David Mears

all hifionics amps aren't that efficient. But I guess if you already have it, run it.

'01 Dodge Stratass Sealed Trunk Build Log
2008 Honda Fit Sport Build Log

On 10/3/2013 at 10:00 AM, ROLEXrifleman said:

Anyone who says they knew everything they wanted out of life at 19 can go suck a bag of dicks cause they are lying to themselves or brought up in a cult.

I have the stock battery up front but a kinetic hc 2400 and hc 2000. A run of actual zero gauge. And will have a stock 150 amp alternator and will upgrade to a 250 amp. So I should be getting good voltage from it. It's gonna power 2 fi fully loaded bls in an suv at 32,4 hz. Is this a decent system?

Running a single big amp or two smaller amps is kind of hard to compare because in theory they could actually put out different power full tilt. What i mean is, say brand "X" 1500.1 does 1650 @ 1ohm, but the same brand's 3k does 2.8k @ 1 ohm. But brand "Y" 1500.1 does 1500 @ 1ohm and the 3k does 3500 @ 1ohm.

Other things to consider are some brands of amplifiers are made cheaply and even amp to amp you can see a broad range of power output, using two cheap amps you will have to match output with the lowest output amp.

You also have to take into consideration the efficiency of the smaller amps vs the bigger amps. The smaller amps may have a higher efficiency rating the bigger amp or vice versa. So using a lower efficiency amp(s) will put more strain on your electrical.

Then there is cost point, How much are you paying per watt when buying two vs buying one. Dont forget, two smaller amps will need more wire, more connections, and you will have to make sure the crossovers and gains are matched.

Another thing is the ohm load the amps will see. If you have two dual 4 ohm subs and you use two amps, you will only be able to wire each amp to 2ohm whereas with one amp you can wire down to 1ohm. Unless of course the two amps are strap-able.

So i know i didn't say which is better, but no one will be able to tell you. This is one of those things where you have to test it to see. Some guys have gained from multiple amps, some from single. Some have gained from strapping, some have gain by not strapping. I've even seen some lose output by throwing more power at their subs when overpowering.

It all depends on the amplifier. If you have two 2500w amplifiers that can be strapped, then that would be just as good as a single 5000w amplifier. You can run two amplifiers that are not linkable (daisy channing) but the risk of sending different power levels to different drivers is something to consider. You can set up dasiy chainned amplifiers to output the same power but you need the proper tools for that, which can be pricy.

When it comes to running multiple amplifiers for multiple drivers, I would rather spend the extra money to get linkable amplifiers rather than daisy channing cheap ones. Or just buy one 5000w amplifier...easy.

AND: When it comes to buying amplififers, generally the more you spend the better you get.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Archived