DC Sound Lab

Square Inches Of Port

I keep getting told to stay around 15 square inches of port for cubic feet which I have always done in the past, but is there not a formula to find port area based off sd and xmax? I am doing a wall with two level 6 m3 18s and 15 inches per foot would be around 200 sqaure inches of port for 12 cubes net. To me that just seams really low for two 18 with 32.5mm xmax and 1217cm² sd.

2000 Toyota Camry With Sealed Off Trunk

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Gathering Parts For Wall Build.

Team DC Audio 2014 Member

There's your formula:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

You can get away with less in a vehicle cabin but I try not to cut from the suggested minimum number TOO much. The 15" per foot is a rule of thumb for MOST drivers. However, port area isn't driven by how much airspace you have. A given sub, just for generic example an 18" sub, will need the same amount of of port if it's in a 5 cube as it would if it's in a 6 cube box. Desired tuning, Xmax, and cone area is what should be being used to determine port area.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

There's your formula:

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

You can get away with less in a vehicle cabin but I try not to cut from the suggested minimum number TOO much. The 15" per foot is a rule of thumb for MOST drivers. However, port area isn't driven by how much airspace you have. A given sub, just for generic example an 18" sub, will need the same amount of of port if it's in a 5 cube as it would if it's in a 6 cube box. Desired tuning, Xmax, and cone area is what should be being used to determine port area.

I knew that is was not box dependent which is why I was not happy to keep getting told 15 per foot. According to that claculator I need 300 inches for the two 18s with 32.5mm xmax tuned to 30 hz. WAY more than 15 per foot lol.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Also if you click the FORMULA, it will redirect you to the page where the hard formula is to actually do the calculation by hand. I've done it and it checks out.

That formula recommends 164.51 for one level 6 18 at 33hz. Is that correct? That seems like lot of port for one.

I don't put images in my signature to let people know I mean business.

I will probably end up with around 250 square inches of port for my 13 cubes net. So around 20 incher per foot.

Sky High OFC Wiring

DC Power 270 XP Alt

AQ 2200 Sub Amp

Two DC Level 4 m2 12s

80 Mil Murdetmat

Now ive said this before. I want to see one of those boxes with all that port on a termlab. Over a spectrum of frquencies. Just because there is a formula out there doesnt mean its right. I dont care how good someone says it is. If it falls on its face jn the output category sounding good just means not loud and from my own experience and all the people ive dealt with and worked with who have experinented with this kind of thing there is a decrease in output from too much port area

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

But what determines TOO much port area? A TL, ears? I agree that less port area can be used since sound waves can't even fully generate in the vehicle cabin. Avoiding peaky response and mouse are the two biggest things.

When you REALLY look at the purpose of the vented enclosure in general, the idea is not to BE flat responding if we want to get technical. Its to have a bump in output around tuning frequency and then to rollloff above and below tuning.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.