Second Skin Audio

box build for T1D2 12" Pros & Cons (edited dimentions)

bcbrassard

I built this box a year ago and since then my knowledge has grown and was looking for opinions & suggestions on what i did right or wrong. And what i can do to improve current set up with areo ports if need be.

Box dimentions: (inside box dimentions)

36.5" W x 14.5" H x 10.5" D = 3.116929 Cu ft

RF T1D2 12" displacement =.308 Cu ft

Box after speaker = 2.808 cu'

Ok i wanted it to look cemetrical and centered the sub w/ areo ports on either side(bad idea looking back now)

Areo ports cut to 9.85" for a tuning of 42Hz but there is only 2" of space between the back of enclosure to end of flared port inside.

Question: is that enough room for proper firing & loading? The box sounds good, but i dont have anything else to compare it to so i dont know if it would sound better in a different set up or design.

Any input is appreciated. Considering rebuild box this summer. Adding another T1D2 12" and doing a blow thru from rear deck into cab.

Sub in 1 ohm being powered off a RF Power bd1000a1, Thankjs for any help, heres a pic if that helps.

03LancerStereoBuildPart1021_zps2a805da0.

Okay I haven't finished reading yet, but already notice something.

The cubic feet gross of the box is actually 2.37.

I'll edit in if I see anything more.

Edit:
Assuming those are 4 inch aero's 9 inches long each, that brings your tuning to ~49hz.

Net volume comes out to ~2.1 cubes. Which is okay for that woofer. But the tuning is pretty damn high. I'd drop it down to like ~35 or so. You may have to go with a slot so you can bend the port easily for the necessary port length you'll need to achieve that tuning.

Here's a new box using the same dimensions that would most likely sound a lot better
1479729_589988074390269_225197132_n.jpg?

1996 GMC Sonoma
Four Fi BTL Neo 18's In 2:1 6th Order Bandpass
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

On 10/20/2013 at 0:37 AM, KillaCam said:

Fucking with a Prius driver is like making fun of a disabled kid. Pussies.

Okay let me put together something new. Hang tight.

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Fixed mistake on info, whats anyones thought on changing these ports out to 6" until i can build a new box this spring.

6" aeros would need to be significantly longer just to get the same tuning and you need to tune lower which would make them even longer. I don't think you will be able to fit them in the box. Time for a whole new box unfortunately.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I really suggest doing a slot port. Shorted the depth because I figured you have a specific width and height that you prefer.

1459860_590047184384358_1923506460_n.jpg

1996 GMC Sonoma
2 Ampere 5k's @ .5

TEAM FI
TEAM #LITHIUMCANTDEMO

Fixed mistake on info, whats anyones thought on changing these ports out to 6" until i can build a new box this spring.

6" aeros would need to be significantly longer just to get the same tuning and you need to tune lower which would make them even longer. I don't think you will be able to fit them in the box. Time for a whole new box unfortunately.

Thank you for your input, i guess new box time. Thats cool though, give me something to build this spring, I wonder if i have enough room to do 2 T1s in a blow thru into the cab.

I really suggest doing a slot port. Shorted the depth because I figured you have a specific width and height that you prefer.

1459860_590047184384358_1923506460_n.jpg

Thank you for the box design and your help. Much appreciated.

Archived