Second Skin Audio

how do i figure out how big i have to make the port?

GueroZ28

I will apologize if my view point offends you and you experience, and please share with me your proof or any other proof of how a larger port area affects bandwidth, and or peaks in the response; as you have not tried to prove your side of the argument, or I missed it, but if not you can once again stop directly insulting me.

Kraken - it is not worth the fight. I gave up and no longer post in any port area threads.

You will hear it over and over -

"Big ports are only good for SPL setups"

Hmmm. So the ideal minimum calculation is for SPL only. Interesting. Not what I understand from Vance's loudspeaker cookbook or my last setup with (4) 15" subs, 11.7 cuft net, and 400 sqin tuned to 34 Hz that played music awesome down to 30 Hz.

"Too much port area is bad below tuning"

Duh - that is how ported boxes work! If you need to play lower, tune lower, select a different driver, etc.

"Smaller ports have more bandwidth"

When I see this, I think "this person has no idea how a ported enclosure works". Enough said.

I have even seen people post "big ports don't have enough back pressure and will act like it is playing free air". This one is worse than the bandwidth idea.

You can't win.

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Dude you have made like 3 different threads asking the same thing...

Give me the max dimensions you have to work with and will give you all your specs and a cut list.

Max dimensions are

Length- 33inches

Width- 16inches

Height- 13inches

Box recommended amount of air space for the subs is 1.65cu ft

If you were to build a box to your max dimensions it would only give you 3 cubes of air space and you need at least 3.2 not including the port.

So you might want to look into a sealed setup or different drivers.

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

Dude you have made like 3 different threads asking the same thing...

Give me the max dimensions you have to work with and will give you all your specs and a cut list.

Max dimensions are

Length- 33inches

Width- 16inches

Height- 13inches

Box recommended amount of air space for the subs is 1.65cu ft

If you were to build a box to your max dimensions it would only give you 3 cubes of air space and you need at least 3.2 not including the port.

So you might want to look into a sealed setup or different drivers.

Well i tried this with the box calculator and sketchup

Width- 32.5

Height- 13

Length- 16

Gives me 3.36ft^3

And the port is 3in wide

Tuned at 42hz i think

My current box is 46hz

Am i doing it right?

Let's say your max dimensions are what you said earlier, take whatever thickens material you are using and multiply it by two and then subtract from each dimension like I did below.

31.5 x 14.5 x 11.5 = 5,252/ 1728 = 3 cubic feet.

This is just a square box without a port, once you figure in the port it would be roughly 3.5 - 4 cubic feet in size.

- 2012 Mustang 3.7 Manual

- Audio under construction

Let's say your max dimensions are what you said earlier, take whatever thickens material you are using and multiply it by two and then subtract from each dimension like I did below.

31.5 x 14.5 x 11.5 = 5,252/ 1728 = 3 cubic feet.

This is just a square box without a port, once you figure in the port it would be roughly 3.5 - 4 cubic feet in size.

Ok so the port is added in between that or is the port added after that? What i mean is do i have to make the box bigger to add the port?

Archived