Second Skin Audio

space saving 4th order?

Desousa93

Wanna do a 4th order in a crown vic on the top shelf in the trunk keep a 1:1 ratio (space saver) with sundown sa12 ..

Sundown reccomends 1'^3 sealed..

so have a box with subs across from eachyour other sealed in a 1'^3 chamber motors in the sealed chamber both firing into a shared ported chamber that either goes into back seat or the thru the back dash.

1:1 ratio would that make the ported chamber a 2'^3 ported chamber or a 4'^3 chamber

i wanna use circle port(s) to simplify

Would this work?

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

1999 Infiniti I30 Limited

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

Define "work" lol. I would think it would be ok, but I wouldn't expect normal "4th numbers" from it with a 1:1 and it could end up sounding a bit "muddy" but meh.. I don't know. Might be totally awesome. Let us know.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Define "work" lol. I would think it would be ok, but I wouldn't expect normal "4th numbers" from it with a 1:1 and it could end up sounding a bit "muddy" but meh.. I don't know. Might be totally awesome. Let us know.

i read a 1:1 ratio is the best way for sounding good and not peaky.. and it would make it smaller so i could fit it in the top trunk part and save the big trunk part.

:domodance: :domodance::morepower1:New Build in the Making :morepower1: :domodance: :domodance:

if you break a rule and argue with n8 your going to get banned. suspended if your lucky.

A 1:1 ratio will give you more of a flat response. I believe the higher the ratio (2:1, 3:1) the more range you'll be able to play.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

Why not just make a regular ported box

cuz 4th orders are different, havent seen 1 in person and wanna have something different

A 1:1 ratio will give you more of a flat response. I believe the higher the ratio (2:1, 3:1) the more range you'll be able to play.

http://www.splscience.com/how-to-design-and-build-a-4th-order-bandpass-enclosure/

says higher the ratio the more it peaks at a certain frequency and narrows the tuning... a 1:1 says it wold be flat and widen the tuning.

i want it to be musical hit lows and just bump so to speak

If you want to hit lows, and still play music I'd recommend just a regular ported enclosure.

Thanks alaskanzx5 I might just do that
I can recone a sub myself. About a year ago I took 2 12" power acoustic mofos and made one sub. I took the magnet and the motor off of one and j b welded it to the other motor and magnet. I had to wind my own voice coil so it would work. After I was done hooked up to 2 boss 5000w amps. And shattered my back and all my side windows

came to this thread to recommend soundqubed and ct sounds. OP goes with soundstream.

oh lawd.

From what I've read I'd at least do a 2:1 ported:sealed ratio, won't be quite as flat but tuning properly should give you a solid usable range

masterbation is free, and even saves you money.sorry but someone had to say it

sorry, Jimmy...beat you to it (no pun intended)

LOLDON'T get a wife. Best advice I never got, and now it's too late <_<

My build: 12" DCON in a dorm room.

New/current build: 8" woofer, custom amplifier block, fiberglassed speaker pods

The only thing about 1:1 ratio is that the response is flat within a given range, and no peaks. but so it a simple sealed enclosure with a even broader range with no real peaks.

The bandpass may have +2-3db gain over sealed, and an advantage over in more effecient power rating,........but the range will be narrower than a sealed. And depending on the song, the lower that note, the more the enclosure will try to reproduce it as she reaches her cutoff range,.....the more you may try to turn up the volume or adjust the gain to compensate. So power handing may limit the bandpass as well. Increasing the power to produce a note at the edge of cutoff will blow your sub. This is why, back in the day, some songs sounded awesome in some friends vehicles, and some songs sounded like ass, each vehicle having a sealed,band pass or ported enclosure. And funny thing is, people would say "his system sounds like shit!". Hmmm, maybe for that song...

I had a 4th order enclosure for my old MTX 12. For the given amp, the MTX 240, she slammed.....on certain notes. Trying to play some particular song, and she blew.

Basically, just keep in mind, you have LIMITATIONS for what you want. But a 1:1 bandpass,...you might be disappointed when you can only play 1/2 of your ipod songs.

-Frank

Archived