Sonic Electronix

Hey Everybody I have a Kenwood 7205 Amp rated for 500 RMS Watts at 4 ohms. I also have a Sony XS-GTR 120L subwoofer rated for 380 RMS watts at 4 ohms. My gain is set to 4 volts on the amp (I have a 4 volt radio, I know this isn't the best way to set gains but I don't have any equipment to aid me other then my ear) At higher volumes I get a plasticy gurgling sound from the subwoofer. I have my volume offset set to -8 and no bass boost. I don't think the amp is receiving a full 4 volts when this happens. So my question is, I am held back by the Amp or by the Sub? I don't know if what I am hearing is clipping or the sub being over powered. Thanks- Taylor

you have 4 volts coming from the meter with you volume 3/4 of the way up and the prongs from the meter in your amps speaker terminals? i find that hard to believe!

heres a quick way to find out if your subsare fdone. just press on the cone. push in gently but move them a good inch'ish in and let them come back. do this a few time. if it sounds lik a bag a smart food popcorn there shot! if you hear Andly rubbing or clicking there done

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

Get rid of the sub. Sony is only good for tv's. Edit; seriously though, pull the sub and inspect. But from what you are describing the sub sounds like it's blown.

truthsayer

you have 4 volts coming from the meter with you volume 3/4 of the way up and the prongs from the meter in your amps speaker terminals? i find that hard to believe!

heres a quick way to find out if your subsare fdone. just press on the cone. push in gently but move them a good inch'ish in and let them come back. do this a few time. if it sounds lik a bag a smart food popcorn there shot! if you hear Andly rubbing or clicking there done

What I was trying to say was that I don't believe is receiving maximum input (the way I have the defeat and gains set) so I don't know if somehow my amp is clipping or if it handle my amp. Thanks for the help.

did you pull the subs yet? and if you tunedby ear I'm sure you were clipping

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

did you pull the subs yet? and if you tunedby ear I'm sure you were clipping

I did. I unhooked the sony from the bridged config and just hooked it up to run off the left channel and ran an old exile off the right channel(to reduce the wattage on the sony). Played the same song I was getting the noise on and I was able to crank the gain way up without any clipping or noise coming from either sub so I'm convinced the sub just can't handle the wattage.

I think your clipping man. The gain isn't a volume knob. You would be surprised by what even a crappy sub can do with good clean power. You would also be surprised at what a $10,000 sub can't do with dirty power and clipping signals. What kind of box is it in? I think you should hook it back up the way it was before and then turn the gain down, play the song, see what it sounds like, then turn it down more if needed. Where are you located, surely there is a shop around that could help you out, or even a fellow SMD member.

Tuned it by ear? Id be willing to bet your clipping. ..

2003 silverado TEAM DC

Pioneer Avh 5500

4 DC lvl 5 18s

12 crescendo pwx 6.5s

4 crescendo ft1 tweets

6xs d3400s

Singer 400 alt

Skyhigh ofc wires

Skyhigh speaker wires

Smd vm1

2 DC 175.4

DC 10k