89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

Grabbed some pics, Gotta lot of chores to do, I've been putting it off. Why can't dishes clean themselves! :jon:

So there's the quick fix. It's not bad, don't you think?

DSC00344_zpsea111c8d.jpg

The air goes straight from the cone to the port, I think that's why it can play so low.

DSC00357_zps23688203.jpg

Remember that weather stripping? I apparently didn't bolt everything down tight enough, (I didn't want to bend the other good basket)

and the seal blew straight out. Oh well, it was really soft stripping, I've got some stronger wider stuff with a B shaped cross section, that should do the trick.

DSC00345_zps44c78dee.jpg

There's bits of the stripping everywhere, it really blew apart! And because of the gap it left, the bolts started coming out.

I was wondering why the output dropped off as I tested... No worries, it won't happen again, I've got a plan.

DSC00346_zps514592e3.jpg

I just love this LED strip, it's so much more modern that that dull piss colored incandescent hot as fuck bulb.

DSC00347_zpsc2c6a8cf.jpg

Yeee.

DSC00356_zps5ba67f40.jpg

These are just dangling for now, haven't decided how to place them, plus, the green one is inactive, I don

t have a 50 A fuse for the G4500, so it's just chillin' for now.

DSC00354_zpsce7d44db.jpg

Yeah, it's not a work of art. It works tho. everything turn on and off with the turnkey, which is a step above my car.

Yeah, the radio played no matter what in my car, had to remove the face plate to save the battery. Just another reason to sell it.

DSC00355_zpsb7895805.jpg

That's the ground ATM, will be using what's left of the Kicker OFC to get that bit more efficient, just haven't gotten to it yet.

DSC00352_zps2ae0e675.jpg

Need a 50 amp fuse for this wire, dun have it yet, but it's on my to do list.

DSC00353_zpsc108d5a5.jpg

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Not a choice in gear id make. I ccan't see those woofers weighing 100 lbs each. Or that amp doing 2700 watts either

I got the Demon Amp for free( IKR!), the Kicker 4ga for ten bucks, subs for 250. The rest was in my car, and it's a simple swap out.

It's a budget build, I'd love to have a Skar/Rockford/DC/DD/JL build, but I have no income ATM.

Also, that's the weight of the whole box assembly, each sub is 32 lbs each. And yes, I doubt the amp does it's claimed numbers, esp on stock electrical.

I'm doing what I can with what I have, I'd love to have a whole DC audio blow through, it's just not in reach yet. I'll get there someday, but for now, I'm

getting what I can. Helps me stay creative.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

On the to do list-

Install all of these and run them off the G4500. Not sure If I can stuff the HDs in the dash, but I most certainly will try.

IMG_0142_zps2c12fe27.jpg

I've had these two TRs for 4 years or more, it was the first purchase to improve my mobile audio ever, so there's some history with these.

And they still work fantastic! Paired with the G4500, it's a great combo in just about anything. (For the price, anyway.)

IMG_0144_zps4a3f803f.jpg

Yes, they are the cheapies, I already had 'em, so I'll use 'em. It's better than 25 year old 9.5 ohm factory papers at least. I'm broke, don't hate.

IMG_0145_zpsa62ed3c0.jpg

Sorry about the blur, this camera has no image stabilization, and the focus is manual, with a tiny fucking lever to boot.

IMG_0147_zps49b6e32b.jpg

It's really bugging me, I'm not 100% sure what kind of RCA to use for the G4500, I think it needs twisted, and the other amp uses co-axial.

If anyone knows about these, please inform me.

Also, for the G4500, I fully intend to make my own fuse holder out of some industrial plastic chunks I have laying around, all I need is a 50 amp fuse,

and I can really open it up, see the real capacity of the amp.

Also, I intend to add a few more grounds, definitly one under the cab to the frame, and from battery to frame too.

I'm getting some pretty bad voltage drop, almost dips to ten volts when it really digs.

Here's my latest build.

Hey man I love a budget build no it may not be the best equipment but it'll get the job done, Hell i wish i had money to even do a budget build lol and those hd's sound pretty good for walmart cheapies i had a set i ran in my old accord when i blew the stocks honestly suprised the shit out of me. so keep it up i'll be following :rofl2:

I have those HD speakers in my foxbody, they aren't that bad, sound quality for the price is pretty good as well.

2003 Chevy blazer 4x2, it has a tape deck.

1999 Acura integra, whats a radio?

1983 kawasaki kl250R bobber, my phone is almost loud enough.

Well almost anything will sound better than 25 year old paper cones (lol) these had Injection molded polypropylene cones (IMPP) and two higher ranged tweet and tiny tweet, so yeah, they're definitely better than just old paper. plus, the magnet size is almost as large as the TR 6x9s, not sure what to take from that, but typically a bigger motor is better, right?

If anyone really know what they are doing, Could you please help me understand the RCA thing? This truck runs far quieter than my car, and I intend to keep it that way, so there's a lot less tolerance for noise from the RCAs, any advice would be great! Co-axial or twisted?

If you have any questions about this build, I'll answer it, so please, feel free to ask.

Here's my latest build.

My sleeping schedule is so messed up, for the past week straight I haven't been to be before 3:00 am. (Thank Skyrim for that) I'm off to bed to get up and go running, wake myself up the hard way, and get something done. I have much to do on the truck, the box needs a lot of loving, there's 4 speakers to wire up to the 4 channel, and a quick center console for to replace the lame as hell factory 'cup holders'. Plus, cleaning the mud off, passing inspection, upgrading cab to frame grounds, bat to frame, and interior lights and switches, and the rear window leaks. The steering column is loose, the radio is just laying there, and there's a ton of rattles to chase down, rewire some LEDs on a relay, most of which could be done in a day, if I would just try. Bedtime.

Here's my latest build.

So now it's dark, time for the progress pics. Doesn't seem like I got much done, I turn a simple sanding into a night mare three day long dust storm.

The plan is to put down a thick layer of primer and sand it till it's smooth, but this paint just sticks to the sandpaper and clogs it, didn't think of that. Maybe let it dry some more.

Tomorrow I'll throw down several coats, let it dry for a day and work in the truck, and then sand it all down and find my spray gun, put a nice even layer down, maybe even a few clear coats, we have a lot of really old painting stuff, I'll see if there's some good left in there.

On to the pics!

Removed the subs before hauling the box outside. 64 lbs lighter. Look at that weather stripping, never stood a chance.

Won't have that happen again, I'll see to that!

IMG_0156_zpsec27facc.jpg

Mangled stripping. Also, a lot of dust. Didn't spray out the box before assembly.

IMG_0161_zpsc889a982.jpg

Blew off the pole vent mesh, that sucker was pumping air!

IMG_0160_zps9da42dcd.jpg

Gathering crap for a day of sanding and painting.

IMG_0152_zpsb9096448.jpg

I'm sure there's others who do this same thing, and it's so handy. Cheap sand paper, spray adhesive, and a chunk of scrap that's just the right size.

IMG_0153_zps739d7eb9.jpg

IMG_0154_zps2803e561.jpg

Here's the brace, gonna make it a bit snug, and slobber glue all over and bolt it down.

IMG_0162_zpsde885f79.jpg

IMG_0164_zpsad7540f1.jpg

Ged Fecking Demnit! Drill doesn't fit, and the screws have to be straight and dead center, once again, drilling by hand in a tight space. :jon:

IMG_0165_zpsfa73b671.jpg

Glued and screwed. It's in there for good.

IMG_0166_zps3f2e22f1.jpg

IMG_0169_zps06c6f058.jpg

I also sunk five additional screws in the back there, that part was just glue, Just making sure it will survive a few years of beating.

IMG_0170_zpsefe4e58f.jpg

Sanding the port smooth, a lot of air goes through there!

IMG_0171_zps9c7743c7.jpg

One thing led to another, started sanding all the hard edges, looks a lot better.

IMG_0172_zps96a18ee9.jpg

Here's my latest build.

Had to cut this post in half.

Let me show you how to remove some dust! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!
IMG_0174_zps58f3369a.jpg
Some old ass paint, it's like clay at the bottom. Plastic POS paint mixer or custom impeller DIY mixer?
IMG_0182_zpsa1fd41a8.jpg
Custom, duh! Here we go...
IMG_0183_zpsc5b9714d.jpg
SSSSSSSWWWWWUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRLLLLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!
IMG_0189_zps5c11f599.jpg
After half a fuckin hour, the gearbox was smelling bad, and it still wasn't all mixed. Meh, went with it. It's not the top coat anyway.
IMG_0190_zps50cb9f52.jpg
Did all that with a 1" chip brush, That Got Old!
IMG_0191_zpsa11d9298.jpg
Didn't think about keeping my hands clean, just got down with it. Really bad idea. Lesson learned.
IMG_0192_zps8e1f7b8d.jpg
You will be able to see this when you look inside the box, so it gets a coat too.
IMG_0193_zpsaa59fe07.jpg
I want no wood color showing, well except for the bottom. Dunno if I want to paint that yet, it's just going to get scratched up.
IMG_0194_zps1bf216d0.jpg
Had some lunch while it dried. Round two! With Latex!
IMG_0197_zps901258bb.jpg
Looks good! well, for a base coat anyway. Not sure what color to go with, might leave it primered for now till I get some matching GM paint for my spray gun.
IMG_0198_zps86a88b5c.jpg
That's all I have for today, tomorrow will be a bit more interesting, I will throw some paint on the box and then hook up everything in the truck,
stopped by the local shop Big Daddy's Stereo, they just handed me a 60A mini ANL fuse, and Nick's got a new dd2518 in a 7 cube box,
Itching to get a demo, I'll see if he's cool with a little flex vid. Last time, he had an old school W3 18", it was nuts!
Still has a Slash 500.1 and a 500.5. Killer Equipment. Anyway, more stuff tomorrow, stay tuned!

Here's my latest build.

Archived