89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

Not bad for a first box?

I'm now where near done, when I'm comfortable with my financial situation, you can expect some upgrades, and a whole lot of Innovation.

I've got a huge list of ideas I want to try out, I'm thinking about starting a MISC DIY thread for all my on the side experiments.

The dream right now is to get very low and pretty loud. I want an armrest made of sub-woofer motors.

I want to be the lowest hitting ground pounding single cab without a wall or blowthrough.

I'm far from there yet, but I have the addiction. As soon as my wallet permits, I will be experimenting with fiberglass.

Also, I'll be helping a buddy up his game. His little car has windshield flex from a Sony xplod 1200 amp and two of Power Bass's cheapest 12s

He's going to jump straight from less than 600 rms to over 2.3k in one move. Check for progress on the weekends, it's sure to be a treat.

BTW Sierra, what do you think my box is tuned to? T

he port dimensions were for two JL audio 12W3v3 drivers @30hz. (3"x12.5"x20")

I forgot the net volume after disp but it's around 4 cubes.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Well done so far man. I'll keep tuned into your progress. Shoot me any questions you might have about the C1500 (I basically live in mine). Or any questions about software, seeing that I have it all. Keep it up

AudioPfeil 1989 GMC C1500

3300 watts

AudioPfeil.com

Well done so far man. I'll keep tuned into your progress. Shoot me any questions you might have about the C1500 (I basically live in mine). Or any questions about software, seeing that I have it all. Keep it up

Thanks man, Ima put your words to the test (Please don't hate me)

Okay first question is kinda noobish, what (free) program/calculator would you recommend for determining the cross sectional area and port size/length for tuning an enclosure?

I used this one and haven't browsed for more, will this one work well, is it accurate?

http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31

Also, the wiring in my engine bay is in tatters, the split loom is crispy like a cracker, it crumbles to the touch.

Should I replace it all or is there another solution you would recommend?

How many amps should I expect from the stock alternator (5.7L V-8)?

My steering column is loose, it's the bolts way the hell off in the column, should I try the repair myself or shell out for a shop? (2 hours charge @80/hr)

I am not worried about trying it myself, I will spend a lot more time than the shop will to make sure it's done right without breaking anything.

The larger outer seals along the doors edges peel off, they are still soft to the touch and pliable, so I feel they can be re-used, but what to hold them in place?

I have Loctite spray adhesive, and can get some DAP paint on adhesive, or do you recommend another solution?

I eventually plan to replace the rubber brake lines with stainless braided for a firmer pedal, stock is kinda mushy.

Any advice for which brand/type and do's and don'ts?

I also want to upgrade ALL the rubber bushings in the suspension to the pretty red Teflon ones, the complete kit is around 250,

would this kit be worth the investment and are there equivalent/cheaper kits?

I'm also interested in (eventually) painting the whole truck a matte grey or matte silver with my cheapy spray gun,

but for now I would like topaint my box and interior the same matte grey or silver.

From your experience what is a durable and consistent paint brand/type for the whole truck, interior plastic included?

Also, what is a cheap source for fiberglass and resin, I plan to dabble with it a lot.

Friends want a custom box and I have no experience with glass.

Also, is this a good HID kit or should I steer clear?

http://www.protuninglab.com/90hb4buhidxe.html

That's about all I can think of for now. Many thanks.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

I have some video of a nice distance test, two in fact. Everything I've posted is all bass, but there's 6 more speakers that keep up with it all.

Remember the G4500? It's doing fantastic! Very loud and clear, I just haven't got around to uploading them.

Anyone know a free program the can edit SPECIFICALLY MPEG-2 format? I found one but it's half assed I'm literally using cut and paste there's got to be something better.

All I need is it to support MPEG-2 format, it's really a pain and I'm in the dark, I hate it. Help me!

Here's my latest build.

So, i didn't take all of your dimensions, I will if I can make sense of them. When I take your 4.33 cubes as starting point, the port with dimensions listed, I get that it displaces around .56 cubes. What is our guess that the subs displace? I was guessing around .14 per sub for a total of .28 cubes. So that puts us at .84 cubes from port and sub displacement. IF the 4.33 cubes is correct(as I said, I can check the dims of the box later to confirm), that is a net of 3.5 cubes. And with the port dimensions, I get around a tune of 33 Hz.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

I'm trying to figure out how to send you the actual Sketch-up file. Know how to do that?

I'm dying to get some LEDs and go crazy with them. buy a roll if 5 meters and use every one, maybe even another roll!

I can't decide if I want orange or red, but I want a lot of them, and I'll run them all on a dimmer (variable resistor) so at night it is just a dull evil glow as I cruise around.

At night it doesn't have to be that bright to look fucking awesome. I'm starting to lean on red for the exterior, and maybe orange inside?

I'll have whites too, for actually seeing, but I'm sick of the dull factory green, it's got to go.

Anyone know which bulb the gauge cluster takes? I want it to be orange or red, no other color will do. The factory unit uses incandescent right? I could hook up two or perhaps three LEDs to the original contacts without cooking something, right?

Lol just beat some one's brains in with the bass! (he literally said that)

I love the look on some one's face when the lows hit in Jeezy 'Hypnotize' Slowed.

I made another believer today. Cheers!

So when it really gets down I go from over 15V cold to 12ish, so it's more stable than I thought, but still, I need :morepower1::morepower1::morepower1: !!!!!!!

Here's my latest build.

Archived