89 C1500 Build log. 144 @ 28hz, loudest single cab w/o blowthru?

waiting ........

I've got to run to the store and grab some DAP, I'll be on it like flies on crap in the morning, finally a reason to get up aside from the birds eating the wood on the overhang, I swear, they have a mining operation on that one corner, just to piss me off. Look for progress in the morning. I want to also attach the box somehow, see if it gets louder.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/181273-89-c1500-build-log/

Was brainstorming with the vinyl...

IMG_0087_zpsbcb138c3.jpg

...when I noticed this. Again! The weather stripping is fine, but it's managed to flex itself loose again, so I now have to brace it some more.

IMG_0088_zpse6653230.jpg

I'll take this time to re-do the whole box, sand it all down, router the edges, fill the imperfections, and wrap it.

I'm kinda stuck right now, the box is a total bish to get out, you have to angle it three different ways, and I cannot do that to a 105lb box without hurting something. I'm waiting for a friend to stop by and lend a hand, I just need someone to lift the port end for me real quick.

I have my spray gun now, if you have advice for sprays, lemme hear it.

Knowledge is the greatest tool in any garage. It's also the most priceless, and most easily shared. icon_nuts.gif

Here's my latest build.

Well carp, I have to get some stuff now and mom has the car, so I'm off the the hardware store on my bicycle. Yup. Let's do this!

Here's my latest build.

Dude, you're doing a great job so far for a budget build :)

I was surprised how much you're flexing the truck and looks like it has some great low end authority. Yeah I understand about mdf not holding in screws that well, that's where plywood has the advantage, though bitch to sand lol

If you want something that grips better for screwing in the subs, I'd reccomend spax screws, best screws I've used so far, and not more than the other brands at home depot.
31HQK5RXCCL.jpg

2003 Kia Sorento

Team Subsonic Lows
Team Bassin' on a Budget

2016 Rebuild Under Construction

Best score: 150.2 at 40hz (3k, 2 Custom HDC3 15's) Usaci style(door open, in the kick)

I used T-nuts and #8-32 by 1 1/2" screws, it's just that they came loose, the T-nuts are fine.

So I'm back from my bike ride, brought some goodies home and the box might be pretty by tomorrow, perhaps pretty enough for SOTM?

Not yet, there's not enough nice stuff to enter just yet, but you bet you ass I'm going to win it someday. I'll get to it now, make some pics for you guys (and girls if there's any)

Look for a big post this evening with LOTSA PIX!!! Several firsts for me, but I'm not too worried, how bad can it really be?

Here's my latest build.

This might be really good when it's done, I'm liking the look so far, we'll see when it's done how well it comes together, but as it stands now it's gonna be nice for a first time.

Uploading 63 pics, might not post all, some are near duplicates.

Here's my latest build.

Lets get started. Had a bud help get it out, I can handle it from there. Decided to work in the shed this time, brought my lamp in as well.

I has a 6.5k CFL in the socket, it's bright as hell, 1650 lumens on 23 watts. I love the thing.

IMG_0091_zpsae1899d9.jpg

Weather stripping was not damaged or squeezed out going to replace it anyway.

IMG_0094_zps8f87d864.jpg

The bit is too small, I was hoping I could use it to make every thing more evenly rounded, oh well.

IMG_0095_zps2d622e6d.jpg

Okay so my POS camera ate three sets of batteries today, and it dropped several of my pictures.

I took a picture of the stuff I got from the store, but it died at that exact moment, I thought it might have taken the picture, but I was wrong.

I hate this camera now, it really sucks.

Anyway, I got some bondo body filler, DAP adhesive, grey weather stripping(same kind as before, different color) and 35' of galvanized strap.

Here I'm cutting the strap with a chisel, this method works so well, there's no waste material and it's so easy to do.

IMG_0104_zps67add416.jpg

A nice cut, the mangled part is from using a hatchet on an anvil. (Yeah I tried that)

IMG_0107_zps9f401d26.jpg

It wasn't perfectly even, so I went from the bottom up, cut it nice and flat.

IMG_0105_zps9e54f2b5.jpg

with a decent chisel and a vice you can cut little shavings off, it works so well on this metal, I love it.

IMG_0106_zps0f0c59f6.jpg

Used this handy flexible meter stick to measure how long the strap has to be, gave it some extra length, and marked it with the chisel.

IMG_0108_zpsb31aa98c.jpg

Line up the mark and clamp it...

IMG_0109_zps2cf6267d.jpg

and tap it with a chisel and hammer, beautiful cut.

IMG_0110_zps8a450d82.jpg

Gonna stop it right here and start a new one...

Here's my latest build.

This is how I rounded the strap

Clamp it very tightly against a solid round rod of some kind.

IMG_0111_zpsab3aeaf2.jpg

I used this block of wood to walk the metal around the rod, tapping with a hammer.

IMG_0112_zpsc5625ff1.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's rounded fairly well.

IMG_0113_zps23fbabb9.jpg

Experimenting with the strap, made a short chunk for testing the look and adhesion of the vinyl.

IMG_0097_zpsbc054ef4.jpg

Didn't stick very well, but it's metal, it's not gonna be that great anyway.

IMG_0098_zpsfb43dbcb.jpg

IMG_0099_zpsa2998eb9.jpg

That's roughly what it will look like when done, only better.

IMG_0100_zpsfe8087c7.jpg

IMG_0103_zps98852a3b.jpg

Started on the straps for the box. Took a lot of bending and re-bending, I wanted tension on the parts and bent them so they would be flat against the box.

Took a long time.

IMG_0114_zpsa8de782a.jpg

doesn't go all the way around. Stops in the offset, will be screwed down when it's done.

IMG_0118_zpsf9964a37.jpg

after two more hours of bending, got them both to fit with friction alone, they will be much tighter when the box is wrapped.

IMG_0120_zps992a9986.jpg

Both are under slight tension and flush on the face.

IMG_0121_zpsda81494b.jpg

Test fit with the vinyl. looks good so far.

IMG_0125_zps97bbb8f7.jpg

DAP dat!

IMG_0146_zpsa016fd9a.jpg

Took forever to tack up, the galvanized doesn't hold the adhesive too well, and the cloth tacks up a lot slower the the metal, that small amount of cloth on the back starys wet for a good bit longer that cold strap. had to wet the strap down several times.

IMG_0147_zps30a6c62c.jpg

Come on! I was literally watching something dry, it sucked.

IMG_0150_zps6a748d41.jpg

The end result was nice. They're not perfect matches, but you won't notice that when they are on opposite sides of the box.

IMG_0157_zps996b3c99.jpg

Here's my latest build.

Yup. First time using filler. Lets do it!

IMG_0137_zps1b67bfbd.jpg

That side was good enough for me.

IMG_0134_zps8e32639e.jpg

This is where it hardened before I could it down.

IMG_0136_zps56a377ea.jpg

Sanded it some, it was still a touch too soft, but what ever.

IMG_0138_zps93f2a500.jpg

IMG_0139_zps65345871.jpg

tore the gunk off the top section and sanded the crap down some.

IMG_0140_zps618e5a65.jpg

Second go at it, half the activator. Worked out much better.
IMG_0141_zps517dff9d.jpg
made too much and started spreading it everywhere.
IMG_0144_zps7df4f607.jpg
IMG_0145_zps01b36e73.jpg
IMG_0143_zps770c0d0b.jpg
IMG_0142_zps5baf9544.jpg
Second layer with some sanding.
IMG_0153_zps7dc4c9ff.jpg
IMG_0154_zps542d38ab.jpg
looks pretty flat now.
IMG_0156_zps25940c77.jpg
Still have much to do, I didn't think these straps would take so long.
IMG_0154_zps542d38ab.jpg
I hate it when this happens.
IMG_0155_zpsfea48d16.jpg
Tha's all for now, I'm nodding off right now those pills sure did work ronight. so tired. tomorrow will have more.

Here's my latest build.

Cool

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

Archived