copper lug/ring terminal hole size and tech flex size?

When I fully wake up I will check which tech flex I use for my 2/0.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

I use 3/4 tech flex. I use the same for my 1/0 and 2/0.

2003 Tahoe

dc 7.5k

dc level 5 15's (3)

MMats 341's

xs power batts

lots of sky high cable

dual alts(came off the sky-high gmc and don't know who made them)

ipad in center console

vu-din in center console

all being ripped out and being sold

It is ABSOLUTELY critical that you use the exact correct size hole in the ring terminal to fit the stud you are putting it on.

That is one of the biggest problems we have with audio customers, everyone wants to use a 3/8 hole in their ring terminals because "one size fits all"

The problem with that, is if you use a 3/8 ring terminal on a smaller 1/4 stud, you have only a sliver of contact area on the inside of the ring terminal hole. This limited contact area creates resistance, which creates heat. We have tons of ring terminals actually melted off because the hole was too large for the stud. It was such a problem, that about 15 years ago , we started including the properly sized heavy duty pure copper ring terminal to perfectly fit the output stud with every alternator we sell. Even today, some people disregard the notes in the instruction sheet in bold print that says to use the included ring terminal. They end up using the existing flimsy car audio style ring terminal with an oversize hole because they already did their "big 3" upgrade on their stock alternator, and they end up melting the output stud off the alternator.

The moral of the story - buy heavy duty, thick 1/4" hole ring terminals, and use a uni-bit to enlarge the hole for each individual connection so that the hole in the ring terminal is barely large enough to go over the stud.

Archived