Needing a good pair of 4x10's

SQL50

Does anybody know of a good pair of 4x10 speakers? They seem like their getting harder to find. I've seen about three known brands, besides the well known horrible brands. I've seen kicker, kenwood, and pioneer. Honestly, I don't like kicker speakers, If RF made them that's what I would get. & I know kenwood & pioneer are pretty decent for a man on a budget. What other brands make really good 4x10's that you know of? Thanks in advance.

IMO - they don't exist. I went though this some years ago with my 74 Chevy Truck. I wanted to put 4x10s back in the original location, but they all sucked... and bad.

You have to think that the best shape for a speaker (generally- we are talking for mids/highs mostly but yes subs too) is round. The speaker is symmetrical which makes it stronger, but will sound better. All the angles of the cone are the same. No funny nodes going on off of those crazy compound angles- an seriously, just look at a 4x10. You have to admit it looks strange. 4x10s weren't created because they sounded good, they were created because a speaker that size was needed to fit in a space. That is a big difference.

What I ended up doing was making a plate for the 4x10 locations and running multiple smaller speakers. You could fit 2 3"s or maybe even 3.5"s AND a tweeter in a 4x10 location. That way it could run as a component set. It would be a bit of work, but not too much really. I bet you would be much happier with the outcome as well.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

^^ x2 even just one good coax 3-1/2 will sound better than a 4x10. Much less maybe two 3" and a tweet or even a matched 4'' component. There's lots of options, it just takes some creativity.

Man I'm glad I didn't lock this I get to witness two retards holding hands telling each other that it'll be ok because they are awesome.

IMO - they don't exist. I went though this some years ago with my 74 Chevy Truck. I wanted to put 4x10s back in the original location, but they all sucked... and bad.

You have to think that the best shape for a speaker (generally- we are talking for mids/highs mostly but yes subs too) is round. The speaker is symmetrical which makes it stronger, but will sound better. All the angles of the cone are the same. No funny nodes going on off of those crazy compound angles- an seriously, just look at a 4x10. You have to admit it looks strange. 4x10s weren't created because they sounded good, they were created because a speaker that size was needed to fit in a space. That is a big difference.

What I ended up doing was making a plate for the 4x10 locations and running multiple smaller speakers. You could fit 2 3"s or maybe even 3.5"s AND a tweeter in a 4x10 location. That way it could run as a component set. It would be a bit of work, but not too much really. I bet you would be much happier with the outcome as well.

Designed that exact setup for a buddy, Colin. Two 3 inch full ranges and a 1 inch silk tweeter. I'll try and dig it up and PM it to you OP, plan was to use 1/4 mdf with a resined front/rear, plus a shit load of sanding a maybe some bondo for a smooth finish.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived