D-Wake Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 Does the shape of a box play a huge role in how it will sound? I've built a couple boxes but they all have been smaller square sealed boxes and now I am wanting to step up to a ported box for 2 12's but I have a reg cab silverado. I've seen some boxes with 2 12s in the center console but to get the cubic feet the box is not practical to me so I am thinking of combining a box for subs behind the seat and a center console with the subs firing down in the console and the port coming out the passenger or driver side or whatever is best. Not sure if Im explaining it right so I came up with an extremely rough sketch to show what I'm thinking.. Does anybody think this would work? Or be worth trying? Also port size is a free port size app not sure if it's right just using for an idea
Jeremy Perfect Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 I'm wondering about the same as far as shape of box.
Krakin Posted January 21, 2014 Report Posted January 21, 2014 Doing something like this is much better, '03 Sierra single cab so pretty much the same truck. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175080-cleansierras-build-log-fosgate-regular-cab/ Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
D-Wake Posted January 22, 2014 Author Report Posted January 22, 2014 Doing something like this is much better, '03 Sierra single cab so pretty much the same truck. http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/175080-cleansierras-build-log-fosgate-regular-cab/ Yeah that's what I figured but if I'm going to be building a center console at the same time I make a box I just thought it might help get more air space which from what I understand is what you want in a ported box?
bbeljefe Posted January 22, 2014 Report Posted January 22, 2014 You're fine with odd shapes for the box. What you want to avoid (with any vented box) is loading a sub directly into the port or having one sub much closer to the mouth of the port than the other. As for port area, no one can tell you if what you have is adequate without knowing what subs you're using, what the tuning frequency will be and how much net internal volume you have. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
D-Wake Posted January 22, 2014 Author Report Posted January 22, 2014 You're fine with odd shapes for the box. What you want to avoid (with any vented box) is loading a sub directly into the port or having one sub much closer to the mouth of the port than the other. As for port area, no one can tell you if what you have is adequate without knowing what subs you're using, what the tuning frequency will be and how much net internal volume you have. 2-12inch power acoustik mofos 900rms to each 35hz is my goal Box volume should be right around 4. cubic feet
soundsystemaniac Posted January 22, 2014 Report Posted January 22, 2014 Ive built a few t shaped boxes and they work great! Just build it extra strong in the areas that join the 2 "boxes" together Chevy astro 2 18s and 9k rms Walled!http://www.stevemead...rms-42-inch-tv/JEEP GRAN CHEROKEE SRT8 BUILD!2 JL AUDIO 15s trunk buildDC XL 15 buildDC level 3 18 buildhttp://www.stevemead...verunner-build/ http://www.facebook....hp?id=646651228
bbeljefe Posted January 22, 2014 Report Posted January 22, 2014 You're fine with odd shapes for the box. What you want to avoid (with any vented box) is loading a sub directly into the port or having one sub much closer to the mouth of the port than the other. As for port area, no one can tell you if what you have is adequate without knowing what subs you're using, what the tuning frequency will be and how much net internal volume you have. 2-12inch power acoustik mofos 900rms to each 35hz is my goal Box volume should be right around 4. cubic feet Your port area should be fine. I'd go maybe to 25in² if you can but if not, that should be okay. Facebook: facebook.com/audioanarchyllc Instagram: audioanarchyllc Youtube: youtube.com/bbeljefe
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.