Second Skin Audio

2003 Mustang GT SA-12 Box

MikeyL95

I have a 2003 Mustang GT with the Mach 460 system. My plan is to strip out the mach system and free up some clearance in my trunk.

Figured I'd replace the speakers with some Infinitys or Rockfords front and rear on a Hifonics BRX640.4 to match my BRX1100.1 I have running to my Sundown SA-12 D2.

I measured my buddy's trunk on his 2003 without Mach system and he had I believe it was 15" of height clearance.

Would this be enough to put a box for a SA-12 in there with the sub firing towards the rear seat or would you guys suggest a different way to face the sub altogether? Also, what tuning would y'all suggest for a good balance between SPL and SQ on a DD system?

Whenever I can get the funding for this I'll probably have it designed by someone who does this for a living and then I'll build it.

Thanks for any input guys.

Also, I have the factory 130amp (I've heard it's 130 but auto parts stores sell 110 because they're rebuilt with cheaper parts) alternator. I don't get much voltage drop now with my 1/0 gauge CCA to amp and as my Big 3 with the volume on a moderate volume. With the BRX1100.1 and BRX640.4 would you suggest I upgrade my alternator while I do this work if I have the funds?

A box 1.8-2 cubes net tuned to 33-35 Hz and 28-30 square inches of port would be nice for a well balanced daily setup, the box is not so large so you can try different aimigs and locations to what you will like, just avoid firing the sub or port up.

An alternator upgrade to run a single SA-12 seems a bit overkill, I would start with a nice battery, big 3 plus a voltage gauge and see how it holds. The next sub stage will likely need a way better alt.

A box 1.8-2 cubes net tuned to 33-35 Hz and 28-30 square inches of port would be nice for a well balanced daily setup, the box is not so large so you can try different aimigs and locations to what you will like, just avoid firing the sub or port up.

An alternator upgrade to run a single SA-12 seems a bit overkill, I would start with a nice battery, big 3 plus a voltage gauge and see how it holds. The next sub stage will likely need a way better alt.

My local audio shop has stinger volt gauges you can mount anywhere and you just hook it to a positive and ground. Is there a specific on y'all would recommend?

So redo my big 3 with OFC like I planned and get something like an optima yellow top?

What would the difference between 33-35hz be if anything?

Edit--------

The reason I asked about the alternator was because I'm going to be running the 4 channel as well and my stock alternator is 130 amp but only puts out around 20-30 at idle from what I've read.

The opening to the trunk on the inside of the car is like 14" I had a single 12 in a box that was 13.5" and I had to push it through with my feet. Unless you build inside the trunk of course.

98 Mustang GT
Singer 320
2 12" Incriminator Death Penalties
1 SAZ-2500dv2
2 D3100,1 D3400
2 Crescendo CZ-65
SAX-100.2

Door panels by Diablo Kustomz

Archived