Second Skin Audio

Increasing gap height questions. Adding another steel plate?

Dwn4BassAlan

I need an answer to this quick since the cutting and shipping is expected to take 12-15 days.

I've been trying to find the best placement for the basket by adding spacers between it and the top plate so that the coil has enough space to get a fair xmech. I decided about 3/4" or ~2cm is how high I want the basket from the current top plate. But I was looking around and I already know my top plate and bottom plate are saturated, and while most of it is going across the gap, I still have loss from the air around it (if you're not sure, when steel is completely/over saturated, the permeability of the low-carbon steel I'm using basically makes it as if the steel was like air in a sense, the magnetic field passes right through it, to a degree of sorts)

If I ordered another ring to add on top of the current top plate, to increase the gap by about 2x the current height (from ~0.78" to ~1.5")

would it be effective even if it wasn't part of the original top plate? The steel I used for the original is hot-rolled A36 (armco steel with silicon) it has a great permeability and flux density. I can also get it in "cold-rolled steel 1008/1018" which has an equal flux density, but a fairly lower permeability. So I planned on going with A36 again, because from what it took to assemble the motor, I don't think the steel has a problem with holding tight lol.

If I did this, it would make the top plates level with the pole piece, so it would NOT be extended anymore. Is there a considerable negative side-effect to not having an extended pole piece?

Basically, is there a good reason to add or not to add this extended top plate on, any advice/suggestions would be great. Want to order asap if I'm going to do it. Thanks!

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

Fucking love Alan you goddamned fucking super nerd lol

When Alan uses big words I don't understand

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

RIP 5/29/15 - I love you son.

You would have to charge the new top plate piece for it to work properly.

There will be a change with the new top plate height vs. pole height. But as far as being negative or positive, this is unsure unless you map the field or test the woofer.

Are you change the coil winding height as well?

Changing Top plate thickness in general may or may not be a good thing. Like I said, until you test, you may not know.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

You would have to charge the new top plate piece for it to work properly.

There will be a change with the new top plate height vs. pole height. But as far as being negative or positive, this is unsure unless you map the field or test the woofer.

Are you change the coil winding height as well?

Changing Top plate thickness in general may or may not be a good thing. Like I said, until you test, you may not know.

But this is for my neo woofer. There's a few different things here, one being the magnetic orientation throughout the motor. The pole piece is actually a 4" tall magnet slug, attached to an independent bottom plate, then it has the 6 surrounding magnet cores which are aligned in opposite poles to the main slug. So basically the negative of the main pole is attached to the bottom plate, as well as the positive of the surrounding magnet cores, then the top plate has only the negative of the surrounding magnet cores attached, and the flux travels from the top plate negative to the main pole piece positive. (my theory being that opposites attract and a magnetic core will have the strongest desire to attract as much field as possible, filling the gap)

So being neo powered the top plate is just a low carbon silicon steel, (A36 specifically) so I'm relying on it's permeability and flux density opposed to a stainless steel.

The pole piece would remain the same, but it currently extends past the top plate by about 3/4" so if I add a 0.5" plate it will only be 1/4" extended or if I add a 0.750" plate it'll be flat from the top of the pole to the top plate. I'm figuring I might be bale to make the gap even stronger because the top plate is thinner than I expected (machine shop was 20% error, and they really don't seem to try, so it was 0.13" thinner) and now it seems to be more over-saturated and I have some stray field I think I could make more use of by increasing the gap. The coil would remain the same, but it is already 3.25" in wind height, and my top plate is only 0.75" so I have plenty of room to expand.

Biomedical/Behavioral Science Major, The (Self-Proclaimed) Undisputed-Homemade-Woofer-King

Super-Neodymium-Woofer Build Log: The D4BA-V.2 http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/169236-diy-super-neodymium-woofer-build-log/?p=2475620

It's warming up enough that the donut-punching cyclist douchenozzles are getting their two wheeled fagmobiles out.

Everytime I see a guy driving a mini cooper I cant help but think he loves cock & (2/29/16)-My wife just bitched at me about throwing out things we don't really use. My response of well we don't really use your vagina so should we throw that out was evidently not the right response. I had to leave the room.

I missed Alan.

bump, trying to get it figured out quick.

anything you can think of is great.

I missed Alan.

I'm confused as to what the question is now

What would be the pros and cons of adding another steel ring to increase the magnetic gap height? Because of my unique magnetic motor configuration, I think it would work if I just drop the ring onto the current top plate and bolt and glue it together, but if someone can convince me about anything I would like to know why this would be better or not?

I missed Alan.

Archived