racer_boy_x Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 Hi All-First time posting here, this is a rad place to find info. I know there is a lot of discussion about the SA-8 V2 but couldn't find much info related to my issue. The sub hits really hard on some songs but misses almost all other frequencies completely (a good majority of songs). I have played with the crossover frequency between 35-250 and it makes basically no difference. Is this to be expected or did I build the enclosure wayyyy off? I am a total nube so I appreciate any help that you guys can provide.Build: 2013 Chevy Volt Hatchback Single SA-8 V2 D2 - Sundown Audio recommended box (attached) Rockford Fosgate PBR500X1 wired at 1 ohm (measured output was 540 according to factory papers that came with it) Amp gain tuned using multimeter approx 25VAC (50hz sine wave test sound) Power/grounds 4AWG / Sub 8 AWG (although all wires had the be reduced to fit the amp doh!) The enclosure was built exactly to spec from the Sundown recommended enclosure except I added dual 3/4" MDF on the box face but ensured the volume was the same. The jpg is attached of the specs. No air leaks, lots of liquid nail, Titebond 3, hours and hours of sanding. Is this just what I am stuck with? Maybe the port length is way off? Anyway, thanks in advance.
zayres29 Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 picture doesnt work but that sub should be in a .75 cube box net tuned to 35 hz Btw that was the first person. Ever banned by me while dropping a deuce. Feel privileged
racer_boy_x Posted February 4, 2014 Author Report Posted February 4, 2014 Hopefully I fixed the image now. I thoguht the box was tuned to 35hz but the volume seems larger than .75 cubic ft. The cut sheet was taken from their website. Too large perhaps? Thanks for the help.
SnowDrifter Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 What sort of frequencies does it miss? ~~~~~~~~SAY NO TO PHOTOBUCKET~~~~~~~~ Snow's DD-1 tracks here: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/167433-snows-dd-1-tracks/ My take on OFC vs CCA: https://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/110381-things-that-piss-you-off-in-the-car-audio-world/?do=findComment&comment=2461444
racer_boy_x Posted February 4, 2014 Author Report Posted February 4, 2014 I am guessing here but it only seems to hit fairly low frequencies, sub 45hz maybe. When it hits it will rattle your teeth. But it seems that 9 out of 10 hip hop songs I play it is barely noticeable that the sub is there. Maybe the SA-8 v2 was a poor choice for an all-around sub? If I hosed up the box spec I am not above building a new box but spent way too much time building this thing that works with 3 rap songs from 1998.
Jessica Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 using my best guess with the dimension you posted i get 27hz tuning. is your port width 1.25? let me run some better numbers i could be off Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
SICKSPD Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 so without doing all the math, because I'm lazy, can u tell me what your net volume is, your tuning frequency, and the port area per foot/port length? 09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction): Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness) (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted) CT Sounds AT1400.1D XS Power D3400 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now) Sealed trunk enclosure Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/ TEAM GOAT
Jessica Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 this is what i get using the dimensions you posted. Might be why you can kill lows so well. If someone sees something wrong in my number speak up. Rest in peace, walled 87 accord build log 03' Corolla build with AA Mayhem inside. My super random youtube channel and terrible camera work. Wiring comparison by CaptainzPlanetz Wire and fuse guide by Guest SyKo13
SICKSPD Posted February 4, 2014 Report Posted February 4, 2014 yeah what he said ^^ if its tuned to 27 hz then there would be a limited amount of music that would sound amazing. Plus its tuned quite a bit lower than recommended so that would also explain the lack of performance, you're also a slight bit above the recommended box volume but some have argued this is okay with the sa-8s 09 Challenger R/T (Audio system under construction): Pioneer AVH-X4500BT (PAC RP4CH11 harness) (2) Sundown Audio SA-8v2 (inverted) CT Sounds AT1400.1D XS Power D3400 40 sq ft. Audiotechnix deadener 1/0 Audiotechnix wiring stock Boston Acoustic 7 speaker amplified system (for now) Sealed trunk enclosure Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/178399-slammed-dodge-challenger-sundownct-sounds-build/ TEAM GOAT
racer_boy_x Posted February 4, 2014 Author Report Posted February 4, 2014 That makes sense to me. The port width is 1.25". I am a little surprised that Sundown posted the cut sheet and box dimensions when it is so far off for tuning. I should have just used several of the designs that were floating around this forum. I was wondering why nobody had built the exact box that Sundown was recommending. In any case I will double check all the measurements and confirm total volume. I want to say thanks for everyone helping me out, what an awesome community. When I build the next box revision I will post an update. Now...only to find the time...
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.