Second Skin Audio

Prefab Box - 09 Ram 1500

Brian Svanvik

So I did it, exactly what everyone on this board said not to. I got a prefab box for under my rear seat in my truck. (2009 Dodge Ram 1500 ST)

I got my amp (Rockford R600-5) installed and dropped a pair pyle speakers in the box. Used a multimeter and tips from a video about ohm's law and setting my gains, Box sounds like it's going to rattle to death. I'm pretty sure it's the box because i've been around wood most of my life and that's the sound I hear, wood hitting wood.

My question is, should I just predrill and screw the top down, or should I take it apart and glue the top down then screw it.

I know what I should do is build my own fibreglass box and get a pair of real subs, but I mean for right now

I know this is way under the class of stuff you see on here, and it's embarrassing because I do know better, but I have some minor barriers to doing a good job and i got impatient, so this was my first step.

Thanks for looking, I enjoy this board and all the stuff you guys do!

Find the spot where it is broke and pull it apart, once apart clean the old glue and reglue and use a couple of screws to hold it in place. Another option after gluing is to add a fillet to the inside corners with glue mixed with sawdust for more contact area to keep from having it break open again till you can afford something better.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

The subs are pretty suspect too. Watch the box while it is playing. If you don't see movement or massive flex, then it probably isn't the box. I know that prefab boxes are rarely perfect, but before I started building my own, I had a couple different prefabs in 3 different vehicles. Never had an issue.

I catch Hell for this type of stuff all the time. But if you aren't chasing numbers or trying to get loud, and just want to add a little bass... a lot of times a prefab is not all that bad. Hell.. in some cases it is even more cost effective than building your own. By the time you add up the glue/screws/wood/carpet and the tools that you probably don't already have lol...

Anyway, now that I have said that. It is highly rewarding building your own box. You can take a lot more pride in it, and it will probably sound better and last longer.

Again.. if you can't see the box flexxing, and you can't feel any air leaks (run your hands all around the edges/corners while playing) then it might not be the box, or it could be that the box isn't right for the subs (too much/too little airspace, wrong tuning etc..)

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Thank you, I'll check that out after work. The noise only comes from one side, so I swapped the subs at lunch and it was still on the same side, but it looks like the bottom is smaller on that side, i've got packing peanuts at home so i'm gonna use those to take a guess at what the actual voilume is. It says it is supposed to be .75 per sub.

I've built my own boxes before, my father is a woodworker, so i do know the feeling, but I looked at the bottom of my ram and thought, there's no way I can build something with that many joints that's going to be sealed very well, so I gave a factory a chance. I will do it in fibreglass once I can afford a pair of quality subs, but that could be years away.

Thanks again!

Prefab boxes aren't bad, but the ones that I've come across usually aren't build too heavily. Pretty much just like skullz said, figure out what piece pulled apart, clean and regule, and add some screws. Wouldn't be surprised if you just find nails holding the box together.

The subs are pretty suspect too. Watch the box while it is playing. If you don't see movement or massive flex, then it probably isn't the box. I know that prefab boxes are rarely perfect, but before I started building my own, I had a couple different prefabs in 3 different vehicles. Never had an issue.

I catch Hell for this type of stuff all the time. But if you aren't chasing numbers or trying to get loud, and just want to add a little bass... a lot of times a prefab is not all that bad. Hell.. in some cases it is even more cost effective than building your own. By the time you add up the glue/screws/wood/carpet and the tools that you probably don't already have lol...

Anyway, now that I have said that. It is highly rewarding building your own box. You can take a lot more pride in it, and it will probably sound better and last longer.

Again.. if you can't see the box flexxing, and you can't feel any air leaks (run your hands all around the edges/corners while playing) then it might not be the box, or it could be that the box isn't right for the subs (too much/too little airspace, wrong tuning etc..)

Thank You that was it, the sub was making the noise on the one side, the side that is smaller. Couldn't feel any air coming out but the driver's side is .7 and passenger side is .5-.6. So I swapped them, and the sub from the larger side makes the same noise but at a much higher volume, so I plan on just playing at lower volume and maybe just wiring the one sub in the larger side, and just having the one for now.

Thanks for your input.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE!!! Was in fact the enclosure, I couldn't feel any air, because it was leaking in several places.

Basically, my friend showed up from far away land, dropped his Kicker CompR in one side of my box hooked up to his amp and then I could feel the air. He was sure it was the box as soon as he heard it with my speakers.

Two options, take it apart, reglue, rescrew etc, or for a first try run some screws in. Being me I went for option lazy, ran some screws in. ended up with about 6-8 screws. It's fine with just the screws, but i'm going to put a piece of 1x4 on the back and see if that keeps the seat fabric off of the surrounds.

No more rattles, even with a 600w RMS 10 in there! Although like many of you, I am in no way satisfied. But this works for now. (Yes i'm going to move the speaker wire)

Now i'm not sure if all of these boxes sound like this, or this was because mine was shipped over 5,000 km (3106 mi for basically everyone else on this board)

IMG_20140228_132142_zps43c918e6.jpg

If you haven't done anything with this yet, you could just fiberglass the edges/corners. That would seal up any leaks you have, and be a pretty easy job.

2006 Scion xB

2 Sundown SA12D2

Ported at 32hz

147 on non termlab (140-142 on TL)

Currently in a walled 4th @ 50hz (not metered yet)

Hifonics brz2100

Alpine Type-S Components

Kicker 300.2

Big 3 / Skyhigh 1/0 cca

Optima Blue Top

3 e8s ported at 32hz

135.1 sealed on dash @ 56hz

135.0 outlaw (I must have chosen song poorly lol)

Build log

'Brandon15zzz', on 09 May 2012 - 3:13 PM, said:snapback.png

May have been clipping but none fucks were givin.

Archived