Radio X-over Vs Amp X-over?

Deeznutz

Ok, so I have a dumb question regarding electronic X-overs. I recently purchased a used Pioneer DEH-P5000UB for $50.00. Very clean unit. It comes with a boat load of features to give one a headache. lol. I was just happy with a 4V output!

I will make this question simple and to the point.

I see that with this Pioneer.... in order to use the subwoofer RCA output, I HAVE TO USE

>"turn on the SUBWOOFER CONTROL feature" (which than brings me to the next scene)

>"Choose the built in X-over frequency setting provided.... "50Hz,63Hz,80Hz,100Hz, and 125Hz".

I do like the -24 to +6 Range of SUBWOOFER adjustment, much like a Remote Bass knob.

I choose 100Hz point and connected it to my JL Audio J2 1000.1 sub amp. This amp has it's own X-over range "30-300Hz". So I set it in the middle since I do not have a fancy gauge to see where 100Hz is.

Can I, or should I connect it this way? with the signal passing through 2 X-over frequency points?? I do like the idea of "Less (wires and extra equipment running the length of the vehicle) is better" but I'm not well versed in this area. I was thinking about NOT USING the Pioneer's SUB CONTROL feature. Instead use the Pioneer's front or rear RCA outputs set to "FULL-RANGE" and use the amp's X-over and Remote Bass knob. If it doesn't make a difference with the 2 different frequencies, than I'll just use the radio to control all the frequencies. Or do I set the amp X-over to 300Hz and use the Pioneer's 100Hz??? Not sure???

What is your set up??

-Frank

Set the JL amp to 300 and use the sub output on the radio to set your final crossover frequency. Use the subwoofer controll on the radio. This way won't hurt anything and it alleviates adding an extra remote gain. The only thing off will be the fact that by doubling up on x overs you'll increase the slope.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

radio cross over and find amp without internal cross over ... if you already have amp with crossover then disable them if you cant find a way to bypass them.

Archived