Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

I'm probably gonna be building one of these soon, and you said to make it off the Fs of the sub. For me that would be 20 Hz. What exactly does that mean though? Does it get "loudest" at 20 Hz?

Also

Kenstlinedimensions.jpg

For the line that's 37 1/2" long, where is the left end measured from?

the darker line is the wave line itself and the 37 starts in the middle of the sub not the end of the wall seeing the sub isnt positioned there

I can't stop building!!!

4 DC LeveL 4XL 18 Blow Through Re-Build
The newest addition My '97 Ford Explorer Build
My First Build 8 RF P1 12's
My Myspace Add Me
My Facebook Add Me

oh, your a hypocrite too bro.....your mom has my name on her left tit - and you still like her dont you?

If youre masturbating to that sub already, wait until you get a real sub... I think your nutsack will shrivel up.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone ever seen an 18" solo-x in a t-line?

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a few t-lines I made recently, the first one was for a dc lvl 4 15 and the second one is for a re se 12 i believe

NOTE: my first time using google sketch up for the first one, and the second one is my second time using it. The first design is nice, but would be complicated to build. Second one woudl be much easier and I just realized i forgot the 45s in the second one, but thats an easy fix.

For the first one, sub is up and port is back, port is directly under the sub

Quaterwave Length: 11.35 ft

Full wave: 45.4

Tuning: 1130 / 45.4 = 24.8 Hz

Port Length: 135 inches / 11.35 ft

Port Area: 135 inches

Outer Dimension Volume: 15.64 cu ft

Inner Dimension Volume: 12.61 cu ft (before 45s considered)

Total Volume: 10.55 cu ft(after 45s considered)

Dimensions: 39 deep x 33 wide x 21 tall

inside-top.png

side.png

For the second I did not lay the info out as detailed as i did for the first one, but here is some info

Port area=104 sq in

Port length=111 in

tuned to 30.5 Hz

inside.jpg

top.jpg

isometric.jpg

those are huge 45's..

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

Here goes my first attempt at the t-line.

2 JL Audio 6W3V3-4 6"

Free Air Resonance (Fs): 41.80

Electrical “Q” (Qes): 0.533

Mechanical “Q” (Qms): 11.027

Total Speaker “Q” (Qts): 0.508

Equivalent Compliance (Vas): 0.181 cu. ft. / 5.13 litres 0.178 cu. ft. / 5.04 litres

One-Way, Linear Excursion (Xmax)*: 0.35 in. / 8.89 mm

Reference Efficiency (no): 0.067% 0.062%

Efficiency (1W/1m)**: 80.49 dB SPL 80.13 dB SPL

Effective Piston Area (Sd): 17.36 in. sq.

Thermal Power Handling (Pt): 150W 150W

19"sq x 2 port its a little bigger than the 17.36 listed

Tuned to 37hz

I bought these for the doors to bring some bass up front but thought i would try the t-line first.

So i wonder how these are going to sound?

Im hoping they arent a 60hz 1 note wonder

JLquarterwavebox5.jpg

JLquarterwavebox4.jpg

those have fairly high Qms for a t-line and high qts, so im not sure how they would sound, normally youd want a qms under 7 and qts under .4 or as close as possible of course

the design itself doesnt look bad though, I dont know how much having the port area a bit larger affects it, but i dont imagine it would be too bad since its not much larger

lol, yea i know, but it keeps the 15X9 port all the way around

extend the inner wall a bit and make them smaller, you get a more rounded corner that way and gain a couple inches of length without making anything larger.

Hammerdown... 1%

lol, yea i know, but it keeps the 15X9 port all the way around

extend the inner wall a bit and make them smaller, you get a more rounded corner that way and gain a couple inches of length without making anything larger.

cool, i will try that, thanks

Archived