Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

well it's there to match the vehicle...it should push all the way up against the back seat, with very little gaps. I've calculated that pocket to be about the same air space as the rest of the port. Any idea if it's asking for trouble? acoustically anyway?

It won't fit in the trunk opening as is - but if I remove that back pocket..it should be damn close

man its just straight really long port make the cone area the port area and as long as it needs to be. dont add no of that shit on the back

I can't stop building!!!

4 DC LeveL 4XL 18 Blow Through Re-Build
The newest addition My '97 Ford Explorer Build
My First Build 8 RF P1 12's
My Myspace Add Me
My Facebook Add Me

oh, your a hypocrite too bro.....your mom has my name on her left tit - and you still like her dont you?

If youre masturbating to that sub already, wait until you get a real sub... I think your nutsack will shrivel up.

man its just straight really long port make the cone area the port area and as long as it needs to be. dont add no of that shit on the back

but then it won't fit as nice!

but yeah I guess that's me be being super critical - if anyone feels like double checking my math..or letting me know if this woofer is a good/bad choice, I'd appreciate it. I'm gonna work on getting rid of that back pocket and see what depth i'm left with. This is my first t-line design but im gonna cut this one up and build it as soon as I get it right.

If your image is "correct" then it doesnt look even close to the same as the rest of the port length.. but I guess it could be.

The biggest issue I see with it is that its full of hard angles which will cause poor wave guide characteristics. 90 degree bends are bad enough as they are already without corners just hanging out in the middle of seemingly nowhere.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

Yeah I agree with you about the hard 90's, I'm trying to come up with a quick solution for quarter rounds instead of a 45. I've got some thick cardboard tubes I could slice up and glue in..or I could dado in some whacky wood or something.

The inner 90's arent so bad, its mostly the change in port dimension and the angles caused by that big back piece.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

hey man, i was wonderin, what would an t line enclosure b for my alpine type r 10" duel 4. if i can, id like it tuned so i could hit the last note on "Put On". ;) or at least sound wicked on tech n9ne"s song "deamons" off of his K.O.D. cd. thanx

You're normally supposed to tune your t-line to the fs of your sub but the low note in Put On is 28hz sooooo probably around there like 27-29hz but your sub might not like it since it's not your fs but give it a shot.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

So I didn't build the maxima box yet because I wanted to test this theory out with a smaller woofer..

I used a JL 8w1 for this.

a couple specs on it:

fs - 34.55hz

qms - 6.26

qts - .47

sd - 32.67sq.in.

The port length is 98 inches, port opening is 3.76x8.5

It sounded good, I had to give it a fair amount of power to get it loud..but for an 8w1 it slammed. Quite impressed. I'll be building my maxima box next.

jl8w1%20tline.jpg

IMG_0583.JPG

So I didn't build the maxima box yet because I wanted to test this theory out with a smaller woofer..

I used a JL 8w1 for this.

a couple specs on it:

fs - 34.55hz

qms - 6.26

qts - .47

sd - 32.67sq.in.

The port length is 98 inches, port opening is 3.76x8.5

It sounded good, I had to give it a fair amount of power to get it loud..but for an 8w1 it slammed. Quite impressed. I'll be building my maxima box next.

jl8w1%20tline.jpg

IMG_0583.JPG

Turned out nice. You should post some vids.

System:

Basically Stock

In process of upgrading

I heard questions asked about varying the tuning of the t-line away from the speakers fs

and want to know how this affects the sound.

I am in the process of a t-line for a DD 9515 and only need 40 hertz and down to be

reproduced. I still want sq at this frequency range.

What I have come up with is this:

Box: ---------------------------- DD 9515 specs:

19 hz tuning ------------------------- fs 33hz

port length 15.25 feet ------------ sd 122.5 sq. in.

box volume 13.43 cu.ft ---------- qts .29

...........................................qes .31

...........................................qms 4.32

I use to run a ported 7.9 cuft box with a 37.5 square inch port on the DD and it hit

pretty low. Tuning was 24 hertz. With a t-line will it go lower with a long port

tuned below free air resonance, or will it sound terrible?

Archived