Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

Forevrbumpn can u help me out here can i make 1 of this 4 my rockford fosgate T115D2?

RESONANCE FREQUENCY (Fs) = 26hz

MECHANICAL Q FACTOR (Qms) = 6.74

ELECTRICAL Q FACTOR (Qes) = 0.46

TOTAL Q FACTOR (Qts) = 0.43

if it can b done can u help me out wit the specs 4 it i hav about (H) 16.5 in x (W) 33 in x (L) 24/28 in

• 2 weeks later...

I have two 12" Kicker Solo-Barics L7's and a t-line box sounds interesting... I have a ported enclosure atm so next best step would be a t-line correct?

Here is a few specs I came across I hope I have found the right specs ect lol...

Sd 0.0645 sq m (11.19 = 11.19/2 = 5.595 x 5.595 3.14 = 98.295in.^2 = 0.0645 sq meters)

Fs: 31.7

Qms: 10.857

Qes: 0.709

Qts: 0.666

So ......

1130 / 31 = 36.45 = 1

26.90 / 4 = 9.11 = 1/4

Then port should be 9.11ft. x 0.0645 sq meters? Hmm kinda complicated in the trunk of a Taurus <_<. How would i work it could it or will it not work or be to huge to fit.?

* Eclipse CD3200 with PAC SWI-CAN2 and SW-ECL2 Steering Wheel Controls Interface
* Pioneer D-Series Mids and Highs ( Fronts: TS-D1702C; Rears; TS-D1702R and Dash; TS-D1002R )
* Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 ( Mids and Highs Amp )
* DC 3.5k with Dual Inputs; Custom Plexiglass Backing ( Sub Amp )
* Rockford Fosgate Balanced Line Driver

* One FULLY LOADED ~ 10" DC m2 XL
* Custom Built Carpeted Ported Box Tuned to 32hz. Single Chamber With Volume of 1.44618³ ft ; 1.13216³ ft After Displacement
* Custom Built Carpeted Trunk Wall with Added Fans for Amplifier Cooling
* MechMan 240a High Output Alternator

* KnuKonceptz Krystal Kable RCA Cables
* Upgraded Electrical With 1/0 KnuKonceptz Kolossus Fleks Kable and 1/0 Sky High Car Audio Cable
* Five Exide Orbital ORB34M Marine 12 Volt Batteries
* PowerMaster XS D3100 12 Volt Battery

My 2008 Chrysler 300 Limited - SuperCharged 3.5L V6 - UBL

My Old 2005 Ford Taurus - CarDomain - Vehicle Was Sold

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to throw this drawing of the box from a side- its on PAINT, but the red lines are shown as measuring points. which are very important-obviously

Posted Image

ok the red lines being the measuring points, does the total length of the all the red lines total the 6.89 ft u need or wat does it all equal to, and if it is the 6.89 feet u need then basically it's a guessin game tryin to figure out equal lengths for the u-turn and tryin to equal the 6.89 ft u need? sry if this sounds like a bunch of jeeberish i'm just really interested in this design and would love to try my hand at build a t-line box but i heard u can mess them up really easily so i just wanna make sure i got all the info before i start makin some cuts
Do you read ur own response b4 you post?...or just type ur gut reaction and headbutt the enter key? :blink:

How bout this, the Caddy sounds so damn good it can put a smile on a "deaf mans" face :)

mat then mix hardener into resin and soak mat. beeeeeyaw glassing for n00bs

SMDsigbannr9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

ForevrBumpin,

I was quite confused when I started reading this thread.

About 5 pages in it all smacked me in the face.

These Box designs are quite simple.

The port length has to be the quarter wave length.

That much I have down.

It gets a little hairy when you factor in SA of the cone.

I know I need a length of 9.416, rounded to 9.5 or 9.4.

I'm not quite sure on how to do port area.

Here are the sub's specs.

2x4 Impedance

30 Fs

2x3.6 Impeadance

5.5 Le

6.55 Qms

0.48 Qes

0.44 Qts

1.84 Vas

800 R.M.S. Wattage

1600 P.M.P.Q. Wattage

96 db@ 1w/1m

0.55 x-Max

103.8 Cone Surface area, which is If i read correctly is also port area.

9.41 Is port length.

Do I have these calculations right?

How big of a factor are the other measurements such as Qes and Qts.

Thanks.

ForevrBumpin,

I was quite confused when I started reading this thread.

About 5 pages in it all smacked me in the face.

These Box designs are quite simple.

The port length has to be the quarter wave length.

That much I have down.

It gets a little hairy when you factor in SA of the cone.

I know I need a length of 9.416, rounded to 9.5 or 9.4.

I'm not quite sure on how to do port area.

Here are the sub's specs.

2x4 Impedance

30 Fs

2x3.6 Impeadance

5.5 Le

6.55 Qms

0.48 Qes

0.44 Qts

1.84 Vas

800 R.M.S. Wattage

1600 P.M.P.Q. Wattage

96 db@ 1w/1m

0.55 x-Max

103.8 Cone Surface area, which is If i read correctly is also port area.

9.41 Is port length.

Do I have these calculations right?

How big of a factor are the other measurements such as Qes and Qts.

Thanks.

Looks good to me...Iam pretty sure your ready to tackle your first Tline, a basic one anyways- But that 103, just average it out to about 100sq inches, dont get all confused trying to get it exact. Infact me, personally, I start the lines off a lil small in the beginning, and go full size, or even larger at the mouth if I can

Out of these 12 paged, there is one thing I forgot to mention, I did say this a Basic tline tutorial, there is more involved to do the math for a dedicated tline, based on math equations, but when I worked at the speaker place, about 4 years ago, when I started bringing these in for testing, I got a few that were off in the line length to Fs. But what we had noticed, and what he told me, was that, even if the tline is not exact for the subwoofer, they still make a Perfect PORTED box for the length of the quarter wave

A specifically designed tline has to match the electrical, and mechanical values of a sub, not just mechanical factors

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

Thanks for replying but I got the sub on hand now and it's not 100 sq anymore, it's only 78.5 sq/in.

10 inches exact from middle of surround to middle of surround.

I started a thread in this forum about it but I can't get the port dimensions down to fit the sub.

I was going to go with a 20 x 4 port but realized that the subs mounting depth is 7.5 inches.

If I were to round to 8 for airspace behind the sub the port could only be 8 x 9in.

Which just isn't possible.

If I went with my original port dimensions, 20 x 4 in, could I invert the sub?

Or is that port too shallow?

Archived