Second Skin Audio

Quarter Wave / T-Line tutorial-UPDATED

Forevrbumpn

I forgot to throw this drawing of the box from a side- its on PAINT, but the red lines are shown as measuring points. which are very important-obviously

Posted Image

Ok, my question is, when measuring the length of the port, are you measuring all the red lines from beginning to end, like in your picture, or are you just measuring down the center of the port, like this?

Posted Image

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

4-Dayton 7 inch reference series (front doors)

8-Onkyo 3/4 inch tweeters (dash)

1-Sundown Audio 100.4D (mids/highs)

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Crescendo 3kwp (for sale)

Complete rebuild coming soon...

Just down the center of the port I'm pretty sure. A t-line is basically a ported box with zero volume and high port area. So treat the port as such

A couple links to some box builds:

Tahoe Box 1, Tahoe Box 2, Nissan Titan, VW GTI,

Mini-Bump, Hummer H2, Ford F-150

My own car builds (current setup --- under construction):

Overall Thread, Kickpods, Dash, Back Doors

Subwoofer Wall

I finally have Sketchup working, I have some pretty sweet designs I will post once I get used to this program(thanks to bigpimpin)

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

ok. I am designing a t-line box for an 8" polk MOMO sub, whose Fs is 43Hz. This is going to be a buddies console, and the max dimensions I have to work with only allow me enough room for a port tuning on 40.5 Hz. my questions is, Is this close enough to the FS frequency to allow the enclosure to perform well?

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

2-18" BTL's (for now)

when using multiple woofers...how you find the port area? i'm using 4 15's, just wanna see what size box i come up with. say the diameter is 14 from middle of surround to middle of surround for sake of arguement. i tried going by the first post, but you didnt say what the cone area was for each 12 used in the build, just what the 'combined cone area' was, and i dno how you came up with the port area of 160 sq inches. you just find the port area of 1 sub then multiply by the number of woofers?

when using multiple woofers...how you find the port area? i'm using 4 15's, just wanna see what size box i come up with. say the diameter is 14 from middle of surround to middle of surround for sake of arguement. i tried going by the first post, but you didnt say what the cone area was for each 12 used in the build, just what the 'combined cone area' was, and i dno how you came up with the port area of 160 sq inches. you just find the port area of 1 sub then multiply by the number of woofers?

Thats pretty much how you do it. Find the surface area of the 1 sub, then multiply by the number of subs you are using.

My System:

Pioneer AVH-P3200BT

2-18" BTL's (for now)

Yeah. Add SA's together.

For my sub's it's 10" from middle of surround to middle of surround, 78.5 sq/in.

4 12's would be 314 sq/in port.

For one 15" that is 14" across it's 153.86 sq/in. By 4 equals 615.44 sq/in.

More likely it will be 13" across so it's 132.665 sq/in, by 4 530.66 sq/in port.

Yeah. Add SA's together.

For my sub's it's 10" from middle of surround to middle of surround, 78.5 sq/in.

4 12's would be 314 sq/in port.

For one 15" that is 14" across it's 153.86 sq/in. By 4 equals 615.44 sq/in.

More likely it will be 13" across so it's 132.665 sq/in, by 4 530.66 sq/in port.

Will this type of box work for a DD 9512g?

1130/40=28.25/4=7.0625 port length

11"/2=5.5 5.5*5.5*3.14=94.985 port area

Sub is 8" deep and 12" wide so 13*7 is the port area measurement that will work 13*7=91 sq. in.

Qts is .31 and Qms is 4.15. Powered by either my power 1501 fosgate or my ph-d2 earthquake @ 2ohms. mono.

Don't know how to calculate in Qes and Qts but I don't think it matters much.

Don't worry about sub displacement.

11"/2 5.5"

5.5 times 5.5 times 3.14= ~94 Sq/in

13" x 7" seems perfect that's what mine is going to be roughly but I tuned it to 30hz.

So my port is a little longer and smaller. 13" x 6"

Make a beauty plate or something to give the sub clearance inside the port.

Two sheets of 3/4" MDF should be enough.

Archived