Second Skin Audio

One Subwoofer Not Responding to Lows.

Exscathe

I have two 15" subs wired to 4 ohms on a 2000 watt amp. Wire comes in from the positive of the amp to the positive of one subwoofer coil, then the negative of that same coil goes to the positive of the other coil, then the negative of that coil goes to the positive of a coil on the other sub, then that negative goes to the other coils positive and that coils negative out to the amps negative. The problem is when low frequencies play in a song, only one sub is moving and the other is not, while when the highs are playing both subs are moving, I have checked the wiring a million times, it is very difficult to pull subs out of the box so I checked multiple times, I have no idea as to what is going on. I can only think that one coil was wired reverse which it was not, or that one coil is blown which makes no sense also because I have barely used them, when I did use them it was around half power on each, and I made sure they didn't see much clipping at all. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's the most confusing thing I've ever read, but you have dual 1ohm subs? each Is run up to 2ohm then to the Amp for a final ohm load of 4ohms? try hooking one sub at a time and if you can post pics. oh and post in the correct section. this is a subwoofer/enclosure question not general

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

I could not find the right place to post it. Anyway, The subs are dual 1 ohm and its a complete series load, so each coil in series for a 4 ohm load. Ill take pics tomorrow, and what I am going to try tomorrow is test each driver individually, meter the coils, and try to run the subs in parallel.

That does not equal 4 ohms. From the sounds of it your wired in series/paralell which is a total 1 ohm load.

2_1ohm_dvc_1ohm.gif

Each woofer is dual 1 ohm which wires to 0.5 ohm each. When you have 2 d1 woofers wired up you will be at 1 ohm load not 4 unless you wired in series.

Is your amp 1 ohm stable? with good electrical?

I said I wired it to four ohms, and yes it does equal four ohms because I wired it in series and 1 x 4 = 4. I know that my subwoofers are ACTUALLY 0.7 ohms, so I actually get 2.8 ohms. Also I wired it to "4 ohms" because I don't have my H.O. Alternator yet so wiring to "4 ohms" is just fine since I don't have the electrical for 1 ohm load right now, also my amp os 0.5 ohms stable on strong electrical. Also if I have two Dual 1 ohm subs and I wired them in parallel I would be getting 0.25 ohms, not 1 ohm. To get one ohm I would wire in series parallel. I know what I am doing, I didn't need you to tell me how to wire my subs.

I said I wired it to four ohms, and yes it does equal four ohms because I wired it in series and 1 x 4 = 4. I know that my subwoofers are ACTUALLY 0.7 ohms, so I actually get 2.8 ohms. Also I wired it to "4 ohms" because I don't have my H.O. Alternator yet so wiring to "4 ohms" is just fine since I don't have the electrical for 1 ohm load right now, also my amp os 0.5 ohms stable on strong electrical. Also if I have two Dual 1 ohm subs and I wired them in parallel I would be getting 0.25 ohms, not 1 ohm. To get one ohm I would wire in series parallel. I know what I am doing, I didn't need you to tell me how to wire my subs.

I guess you don't need my help then.

I need help with why one sub is acting this way, I know how to wire, I'm an Electrical Engineering Technologist. I don't understand why one driver is acting differently than the other when the wiring is correct. I appreciate the input but it is not in the wiring as I stated in the opening paragraph.

Archived