Fuzz Posted February 18, 2014 Report Posted February 18, 2014 It is my understandiong you an add a capacitor (bass blocker) to a speaker to block unwanted frequencies on the lower end. I put a 47uf capacitor on some stock 2" speakers in my dash to start blocking below 600hz. They came with 3.3uf which was is around 12khz and I wanted to let them play more into the mid range. It was just a $3 experiment, but the results showed potential. It helped bring the staging up from my legs to the dash board area. I would like to try with better speakers now to see if I can better the results. So, can the same be done on the high end. Something like taking a 2" full range speaker and having it respond between 600 hz and 3500 hz without a crossover. If so, how? I am not installing a processor or crossover, so please do not suggest this. And I know I could let them roll off naturally, but my curiosity will not be satisfied with that alone.
Wicks Posted February 18, 2014 Report Posted February 18, 2014 Capacitors exhibit a "high" impedance at "low" frequencies and "low" impedance at "high" frequencies. "I am not installing a processor or crossover, so please do not suggest this." Sorry...you already did install a crossover. A series capacitor is a 6dB/octave first order crossover. Passive crossovers are combinations of resistors, caps and inductors. Active crossovers are implemented with powered electrical circuits (op-amps/digital/etc). In order to bandpass your 2" speaker, you'll need a bit more complicated circuit then just a capacitor. http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/filter/filter_4.html This post sent with 100% recycled electrons. 2004 BMW M3Mechman 280A 2 - XS Power XP30001 - XS Power D375 500F of Maxwell SuperCaps (soon to be 1000F) iPadMini2Dash mounted O-scopeAudison bitOne (Remote DRC MP) Highs Amp - PPI Art A404 Hertz HSK130 (HSK165 waiting...) DC Audio DC9.0K 2- DC Audio XL12m2LEGAL - 147.3dB @ 41Hz OUTLAW - 150.2dB @ 45Hz OUTLAW - 145.7dB @ 30Hz JUNE 2014 SOTM WINNER 2014 COLORADO PEOPLE'S CHOICE WINNER SOTM BUILD:http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/141656-wicks-e46-m3-build-bass-turbo-button-and-a-big-new-addition/page-68#entry2802026
Fuzz Posted February 18, 2014 Author Report Posted February 18, 2014 I realize I am making a crossover. I just hate when people start suggesting things without completely reading the question. The link you presented me with is very insightful, thanks. But, WHAT? So for the low end you solder in a capacitor, easy enough. Is there not jusr another capacitor I can use for the high end?
Krakin Posted February 19, 2014 Report Posted February 19, 2014 You can mess around with this simulator, there are some filters/crossovers pre-programmed into it. http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
TheMonolith2001 Posted February 21, 2014 Report Posted February 21, 2014 I couldn't get that link to work. But it was probably something like this: http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html
Stephen13 Posted February 21, 2014 Report Posted February 21, 2014 A single capacitor makes a 1st order high-pass filter. It attenuates the lows and passes the highs. If you want to attenuate some of the highs also it will require at the very least an inductor which creates a 1st order low-pass filter. NOT another capacitor. In order to attenuate the lows AND highs together requires a band-pass filter. An example would be a filter that has a pass-band (band of frequencies allowed to pass thru the filter) of say 500Hz to 5kHz. The capacitor will block frequencies below 500Hz and the inductor will block the frequencies higher than 5kHz. 2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab "Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.