Second Skin Audio

custom 8 idea?

agf144

so i have this 12" Cerwin Vega Vmax 12 laying around and wanted to turn it into an 8" sub. nothing is wrong with the 12 just i don't have a use for it. Since it has a 2.5" vc i couldn't rind a basket that would work. so i am thinking i could make my own basket out of 1/2" mdf and a lot of layers of fiberglass. the basket would have the spider landing the exact same height as on the Cerwin Vega basket to keep the coil in the same place as it is now.

since both spiders (7.5") are glued to a spacer i could get the cone, spiders, coil and terminals off undamaged. then remove the cone and put a 8" cone on it. the cut out diameter would be 8" and overall diameter would be 8.5" it's only $40ish in materials for everything so there wouldn't be a major loss besides the 12 but i could always find a recone that would fit. What i would like to know is, would this work?

this is a vert rough sketch of basket/cone

20140220_203025_zpszf4kzapn.jpg

this is the sub as is motor is over 100oz i dont remember actual weight.

20140106_201744_zpspkj1ehk5.jpg

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

subs: 2 soundqubed hds300 12s 4'1" towers tuned to 29hz sub: AQ hdc3 12

Amp: pioneer gm9061 amp: poineer gm9601

headunit: kenwood kdc 255u mids: SQ pro mids

midbass: polk db 8s highs: stock

mids/highs: shitty off brand

why not tap the top plate to work with a triditional 12 spoke or sundown basket

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

double post

Chick took 3 shots of Jager, and then, pissed in my mouth.. oh.. wait.. naw.. that wasnt weird..

He probably tearin dat ass up every night. Reason for "insomnia" Ain't sleeping cause he's like a horny hamster on coke.

2000 grand prix gtp: SOLD My Home Theater Build (working progress) 2002 accord coupe

why not tap the top plate to work with a triditional 12 spoke or sundown basket

because they only accept a 2" coil with the 8" baskets if im not mistaken

Sell it or keep it as it is

And buy an 8"

There are a heap of high power and Xmas out there theis days

but i dont want to buy an 8 because i have no real purpose for i this would be just for fun, a random idea that popped into my head. just something different.. just wanted to know if it would work.

give it a shot man. worst Case your out $40 bucks. I enjoy doing little projects like that. I've never built a sub but really want to! keep me posted with pics man i wanna see it all!

jvc deck

stinger 1800 front

hc 2000 kinetic rear

2 runs of 1/0g

big 3/4

ct 60.4

2 ct 1400.1

ct EXO 15 d1

lots of deadner

type r comps front stage

6 kicker tweets rear stage

lots of great stuff

coming soon

ho alt

more bats

ct comps for front stage

more deadner

sweet amp rack

lots of L.E.D lights

new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)

I picked up an MTX Sw1212 powered subwoofer today. This thing sounds amazing. 130 watts, 12" woofer with a passive 12" woofer tuned to 27 hz. Moving the pictures on the walls and my girl got wet from the bass when i showed her haha. Tonight should be good haha.

The coil will not fit through the hole in the bottom if I'm not mistaken and the screw holes for the motor do not match. That has 4 the motor I would use has 6

I don't foresee an MDF frame working in any way. The force will destroy the frame. Skar has their new ZVX 8" sub coming out with custom tooled frame and it will be a 2.5" coil. I doubt they will have any baskets for sale for quite some time though. Other than than, you could maybe do like some guys have die in the past and use a 10" sub frame that accepts a 2.5"-3" coil, drill out your basket to accept your motor, use some kind of ring tooled out of aluminum to accept your 8" cone and surround on your newly tooled surround landing.

Im not the one you want to try to troll. Just a fyi for you.

Archived