Second Skin Audio

Stress on subwoofer at tuning

Dude2800

I watched the video and will have to try it out. I do have a question though, with no cone movement how would it move any air?

Which is kinda the question I'm asking. Is there stress on the surround and spider even though it doesn't look like it? When you try it and your cone isn't moving. Check the port. There is air moving.

science is fun until you put it on the meter and go, wow, i was wrong.

If somebody has a meter, please test this. Anybody?

lol, "please test this" this has been tested, proved, corfirmed, and drilled into the brain of every competitor that has ever competed on the TL since it came out in 2001. this isn't a debate or argument, that's a fact.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Shell of box / baffle built by me

Port / sealing the box by John Hone

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

price has no influence on how something sounds

I told him to move the fucking port.

they see me hoppin they stoppin they can't believe im so white and dirty

It looks like you got so drunk, that someone came up and stole your leg.

**For the images below the driver is on top and the port or PR is on bottom.

Due to the mass of the air inside of the enclosure and the port, or a passive radiator for that matter, can't react instantly to the pressure created by the active driver. Above the enclosures resonance frequency it is too slow to take away any energy from the drivers, and does almost nothing, refusing to move when the direction of force changes too fast.

aboveresonance.gif

At the resonance frequency of the enclosure it begins to suck so much energy so forcefully through the internal pressure, that it is loading the driver in use. The cone of the driver then becomes the fulcrum to bear all the force from its own acceleration, which in turn limits the active driver's excursion.

atresonance.gif

Below the second resonance, or tuning frequency, the reflex of the system backs off from loading the driver. Since it is only venting back-pressure from the driver it is acting no more than a hole in the baffle, which in turn causes cancellation with the speaker's front output. This in turn rolls off the output at an insane 24 dB/octave, or 200 times less output every 1/2 of the last frequency. The port also no longer limits excursion or suspension that would normally be provided at or above resonance. This can easily cause the driver to bottom out, or smack against the t-yoke.

belowresonance.gif

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

**For the images below the driver is on top and the port or PR is on bottom.

Due to the mass of the air inside of the enclosure and the port, or a passive radiator for that matter, can't react instantly to the pressure created by the active driver. Above the enclosures resonance frequency it is too slow to take away any energy from the drivers, and does almost nothing, refusing to move when the direction of force changes too fast.

aboveresonance.gif

At the resonance frequency of the enclosure it begins to suck so much energy so forcefully through the internal pressure, that it is loading the driver in use. The cone of the driver then becomes the fulcrum to bear all the force from its own acceleration, which in turn limits the active driver's excursion.

atresonance.gif

Below the second resonance, or tuning frequency, the reflex of the system backs off from loading the driver. Since it is only venting back-pressure from the driver it is acting no more than a hole in the baffle, which in turn causes cancellation with the speaker's front output. This in turn rolls off the output at an insane 24 dB/octave, or 200 times less output every 1/2 of the last frequency. The port also no longer limits excursion or suspension that would normally be provided at or above resonance. This can easily cause the driver to bottom out, or smack against the t-yoke.

belowresonance.gif

this makes so much sense i love you

2001 Civic LX Sedan
Pioneer DEH-7500HD

Big 3 in 1/0 Knu CCA
Rockford P500-4
RF Punch P165-S in doors
RF Punch P165 in rear deck
Front doors deadened with Damplifier

Next
SQ's new HDS208 8" in a T-line whenever it FINALLY COMES OUT I CAN FINALLY AFFORD IT
:dammit:

Bend over and I'll show ya.

how is it 2 days work? half a day at most, i may be an idiot, but im not an idiot.

exactly. ear-o-meters and apps on your phone are not correct. so this whole, well the sub isn't moving it's loudest, bs is just that, bs.

I don't understand what you think is BS here, you don't think the technique in the video is going to give you an accurate idea of what the enclosure tuning is?

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

exactly. ear-o-meters and apps on your phone are not correct. so this whole, well the sub isn't moving it's loudest, bs is just that, bs.

I don't understand what you think is BS here, you don't think the technique in the video is going to give you an accurate idea of what the enclosure tuning is?

i'm sorry, i don't build a box with not knowing what my enclosure is tuned to, i'm not dumb.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/177428-97jettas-sql-trunk-wall-loudest-99-buick-century-custom-with-a-one-legged-owner/

i'm sorry, i don't build a box with not knowing what my enclosure is tuned to, i'm not dumb.

No one called you dumb...

You are however making yourself look dumb.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

No one called you dumb...

You are however making yourself look dumb.

elaborate? because i garauntee you if you go, well my sub moves the least at 34 hz, that must be my tuning. you're incorrect. the enclosure doesn't ~have~ a tuning, ever put it in a different vehicle and notice it changed the sound? that's because it's based on your vehicle, what your vehicle is peaking at is your tuning. you can't control that unless you modify the vehicle, build different boxes, and try different combinations. it's not hard, it's not science, it's fact. so please, try again.

#teamihop

Two 12 inch DC XL's

Carbon Fiber Cap

Stetsom 7k

Fuck midrange

Alpine-9886

Archived