Mechman Alternators

Problems w/ Mechman alt on 06' GS430

TBH I'd say this is normal. Newer Toyotas/Lexuses charge really low. Not a bad thing though. It's easy on your batteries :)

Yeah I agree, they usually charge around 14.4 during a cold start and lower down to about 13.8 after it's warmed up.

Also reason why it's showing 12.8~13v at 500rpm is because the alternator isn't spinning fast enough yet.

replace that battery.. should be sitting at 12.8+ and not lower than 12.6.. throw it on a charger to see if that helps.. my optima would rest at 11.8 and would have issues starting the car.. threw it on the charger and fixed the low resting voltage

replace that battery.. should be sitting at 12.8+ and not lower than 12.6.. throw it on a charger to see if that helps.. my optima would rest at 11.8 and would have issues starting the car.. threw it on the charger and fixed the low resting voltage

I did indeed throw it on a charger, I know the battery is faulty and Advanced Auto refuses to replace it, hence why I'm thinking of slapping the AGM back on tomorrow. My AGM rests at 12.7V FWIW (OEM Lexus Batt)

TBH I'd say this is normal. Newer Toyotas/Lexuses charge really low. Not a bad thing though. It's easy on your batteries :)

Yeah I agree, they usually charge around 14.4 during a cold start and lower down to about 13.8 after it's warmed up.

Also reason why it's showing 12.8~13v at 500rpm is because the alternator isn't spinning fast enough yet.

I don't even get 14.4 sadly, I get 14.1 on a GOOD COLD morning (60-70F). In regular weather it's more like 13.5-13.8v. Under compressors running, 1.2k RPM i'm getting 13.8V. For some reason the alt is much more stable now. It was being bipolar when I first started this thread.

have you checked for belt slip. are you using stock size belt. did you even replaced the belt?

I indeed checked for belt slippage, I looked around the belt and no sign of black dust around it, alt looks brand new still. I did not replace the alt belt.

EDIT: Forgot to say, thanks for your help folks!

Edited by xxgokouxx

Update, weird symptom, I took the Optima battery out, swapped to my OEM. Everything works GREAT!

Out of curiosity, I took my dead looking Optima (it was sitting at 12.3v) and charged it up, now it sits at 12.68v on the shelf, been that way all day.... I'm sure if I took a SMALL load off of it, it'll kill the battery instantly to 12.4v again, plummeting overnight.

As for the OEM battery, it rests at 12.65-12.68v as it sat for a few hours now.... It looks to be in great shape compared to the Optima (resting at 12.4 after 3 minutes, and getting lower overnight).

The car sits lovely at 14.0v, but slowly dies down to 13.5-13.7 now, I don't know why...

Someone here suggested to contact Singer for the voltage regulator.... Anyone have a clue how to contact that person?

Why not contact Mechman? After all it IS their alternator

I asked on the post above, they didn't seem to respond whether or not I will have codes...

CELs is one of the things you don't want in our cars, as it ANNOYINGLY pops up on the dash cluster while you're trying to read for other stuff (like MPG's and whatnot).

Someone said Singer has successfully setup theirs so that's why I asked for Singer's info, since maybe he can answer my question.

Thanks Snow!