Mechman Alternators

Problems w/ Mechman alt on 06' GS430

Can't speak to the MLA module. Personally I like straight external regulation. AKA the blue box. Easy way to check if you'll have a CEL with that approach is to unplug your alt and drive it around the block

unplug the alt? Isn't that dangerous?

EDIT: FWIW, Steve's IS-F, when running the box, had CELs go off (from reading his threads). Our cars electricals are VERY VERY similar, so I'm sure my CELs would go off too.

Is there any way around this? There HAS to be somehow!

Edited by xxgokouxx

unplug the alt? Isn't that dangerous?

EDIT: FWIW, Steve's IS-F, when running the box, had CELs go off (from reading his threads). Our cars electricals are VERY VERY similar, so I'm sure my CELs would go off too.

Is there any way around this? There HAS to be somehow!

no the alternator will be fine..Unplugging the alternator would only cause it to free spin.

UPDATE: Got a new replacement Optima batt (free of charge of course) and just slapped her on the charger, it holds a pretty decent charge of 12.9.... I'm a bit nervous as it was given to me at 12.3V when I picked it up..... I had it on the 20amp charge, and dropped it to the 2amp charge just now and leaving it overnight to see the results.... The mechman alt definitely isn't the problem, unplugged and got a CEL. Plugged her back in and she works good again.

Is there no hope to bypassing the CEL? :(

Post in the electrical section and see if anyone has had any luck by passing it. Im not sure how you would by pass it unless you externally regulate the alternator

Hey guys, just thought I'd follow up as I was curious wth was going on with my system lately...

I figured out the problem of why I've been having such bad voltage drops. It was my cheap-assed distribution block.... I am now doing more research into my electricals and what I need to do a full wire rebuild on the system.

It was one of these distributor blocks, with a 120a fuse:

http://www.skycraftsurplus.com/agu-fuseddistributionblockwmeterledsandalarm.aspx

I was soo furious that was my MAIN problem. I hooked up the compressor wires for my Accuair system STRAIGHT to my 1/0 gauged stinger system, and literally voltage drop was nonexistent anymore.

I also feel even dumber, while I still admit this, that I used a cigarette lighter voltmeter, thinking it's accurate enough to read voltage readings on my system (another dumb thing I've done and learned my lesson on).

Since I've hooked up my CT Sounds amplifier, I've been seeing nothing below 13.4V on full tilt. This is off an Optima battery and the Mechman alt.

The voltage readings are actually REALLY good. I'm at 14.5 at first startup, as it warms up, it simmers down to 14.0, not 13.5 or 13.8....

My apologies for the inaccurate posts, I should have put up what my gear was!

I will be posting up in the electricals section soon for further assistance.... Thank you to all of SMD for your insight and help!