BuckTussa Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 About a year ago I built a box for 3 12's for my 09 Acura TL with the goal in mind of getting some decent slap on low power while saving as much trunk space as possible (spare tire access and need to put strollers and crap back there). The box is a sealed box and fits like a glove where I have it now. Very basic. I did not put any thought into using the ski hole in the middle back seat to channel the subs output. I know that if you are fortunate enough to have a fold down back seat then you can seal off the trunk, fire subs towards cabin and get a little louder. I do not have fold down rear seats, but, does this concept still apply with rear seats in the way with a ski hole in the middle for sound to travel through? I am worried about cancellation totally defeating the purpose. The void between the subs and rear seats about 7in deep, so there is some room for the subs to breathe. I really appreciate insight / thoughts on this I am just curious if I will gain anything worthwhile or if it's just not a way to roll. I am also open to other suggestions but unfortunately I need to keep the same space needs available and no additional equipment other than building a new box if that is even ideal in this situation. 2 ported vs 3 sealed? Subs are Skar IVX v2's. Amp is Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd. Thanks in advance! The box does not go past where there speaker wire is hanging: Here is the trunk room I unfortunately need to hold on to. Tight fit not a lot of room for the sound to make it in the cabin but it still beats enough to impress for what it is..
YukonDCXL Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 I would say a port that comes out that hole would be a good idea... I could be totally wrong tho
YukonDCXL Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 I would be kinda like doing a blow through like some one would do in a truck bed and have ports that go into the cab.
YukonDCXL Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 I would try it with aero ports. you could keep the same, just put the aero port in and have the facing to that hole and if you didn't like it you could always take out and seal the holes back up. It would be worth a try for the $20 dollar in port cost
Aj11 Posted March 14, 2014 Report Posted March 14, 2014 don't port a sealed box! you need more air space to port. unless you removed a sub And made available air space and find the net area. my buddy had a 04 legacy he pushed the subs all the Way to the trunk lid and fired subs/port into the cabin. was way louder then facing the trunk. but his weren't pushed up to the ski hole. I'm having the same build question. but i don't need the room. I'm gonna use the ski hole as a plexi window And vent up into the rear deck lid. subs facing trunk jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
BuckTussa Posted March 15, 2014 Author Report Posted March 15, 2014 don't port a sealed box! you need more air space to port. unless you removed a sub And made available air space and find the net area. my buddy had a 04 legacy he pushed the subs all the Way to the trunk lid and fired subs/port into the cabin. was way louder then facing the trunk. but his weren't pushed up to the ski hole. I'm having the same build question. but i don't need the room. I'm gonna use the ski hole as a plexi window And vent up into the rear deck lid. subs facing trunk Thanks man, porting was not my intention at all but I see what you mean by sealing off the trunk and forcing the subs output through the ski hole essentially turns (the ski hole) into a port. Didn't even cross my mind but it would be a weird 4th order in a way with the sealed / port combo? I was picturing what sound waves didn't come out the ski hole would still travel through the rear seat as bass has it's way of doing.. not ideal but it already does basically as it stands now just thinking more concentrated in cabin with the rear trunk sealed off. The more I think it over I see it would be a funky thing to do. Having a rear seat that folds down sealed off (i wish) vs a rear seat with a ski hole sealed off is very different. Preciate it guys.
P4killer_ Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 Yea you would have to do a 4th order. Or you could try to open up the rear deck inorder to either port there or just to let some spl in. Setup: 2010 Hyundai Elantra Factory Unit via 4 chan NVX LOC Excessive Amperage "H/O" Alt Xs D3400/ Xs XP3000 Big 3. 2 Runs of +, 2 Runs of - DD M3b and 2 12" AQ HDC4s
gally Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 wait..what about if you would keep or build a box of simmiliar specs and port the box from the back?... so subs are facing the same position towards the trunk and the port faces tomards the ski hole position? why not having a big ass aero port on the back firing trough a ski hole.. 2010 Chevrolet Cruze Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5" Sub Control --- Pac LC1 Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1 Battery - GZBP 12.2500X
gally Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 you would keep/save space and have it louder? 2010 Chevrolet Cruze Radio --- pioneer mvh-200vbt Front/back --- alpine type s 6.5" Sub Control --- Pac LC1 Sub Amp --- GZPA 1.4K Sub --- GZNW 15XSPL D1 Battery - GZBP 12.2500X
Aj11 Posted March 15, 2014 Report Posted March 15, 2014 he could do that but he would have to drop a sub. our run 3 tens. a ported box for 3 12s should be at leaslt 6ft. (at least) but the money you get for selling a sub will cover the cost of the box. jvc deck stinger 1800 front hc 2000 kinetic rear 2 runs of 1/0g big 3/4 ct 60.4 2 ct 1400.1 ct EXO 15 d1 lots of deadner type r comps front stage 6 kicker tweets rear stage lots of great stuff coming soon ho alt more bats ct comps for front stage more deadner sweet amp rack lots of L.E.D lights new deck (thinking 80 prs, or flip out)
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.