ForKyleigh Posted March 19, 2014 Report Posted March 19, 2014 I have a Yamaha SX230 HO Boat. I presently have the above subwoofer in a sealed enclosure. I feel like the sub would work better in a ported box. Space is my issue. The boat has a rear storage bin that the subwoofer in in right now. I like to keep it out of sight. The opening to the compartment will allow for an 11X16 inch box to go into it. It can be about 24" tall. When in the compartment I would lay it down. I am assuming I should have the port facing up toward the compartment lid. The lid can be easily opened while anchored. The amp is an Alpine PDX 1.600 m. It is rated at 660w rms per the birth sheet. I am sure this is under powering the sub @ 12 volts (when anchored) But it was the best I could get for now. If you would like any other information please let me know. I have the tools and know how to build it. But, I am fair when it comes to car audio knowledge.
ForKyleigh Posted March 20, 2014 Author Report Posted March 20, 2014 TTT... Can anyone help please. I agree this is a small project compared to most, just looking for help from an enthusiast with more knowledge than I!
Joe X Posted March 20, 2014 Report Posted March 20, 2014 Can you post a pic of the install location? Also 11 deep x 16 wide?
ForKyleigh Posted March 20, 2014 Author Report Posted March 20, 2014 I am at work presently, and have not found a good picture on line. It is asking a lot, but you could go to youtube and search Yamaha AR230 - by boat test. It was the second video down. It briefly shows the compartment at 2:39 in the video. Otherwise I can post a photo later. If you could imagine the hole I have to drop the box into is some what like a triangle. my present box dropped it. The size of the side that I put in first was 11X16". To get the sq footage I would need I would need to make it longer. So once the box is dropped in, it would be standing 24" or so high (that is the max height I can use) I would then turn the box so that the 24X16 side would be facing up and out f the compartment. Obviously the sub would have to mount on the 24X16 side as it is a 12" sub. I will continue to try and find a photo online and post if I can locate one!
ForKyleigh Posted March 21, 2014 Author Report Posted March 21, 2014 https://www.dropbox.com/s/raqdiu8yfi8p020/2014-03-21%2008.23.22.jpg https://www.dropbox.com/s/xjl2bcbzq5f1zc9/2014-03-21%2008.23.43.jpg
Joe X Posted March 22, 2014 Report Posted March 22, 2014 You are aiming the sub at the sky, bad on open type vehicles, can do a ported box there most likely but IMO it will underperform eitherway.
ForKyleigh Posted March 24, 2014 Author Report Posted March 24, 2014 Underperform because of the location, or the amp? or both?
Joe X Posted March 24, 2014 Report Posted March 24, 2014 In open type vehicles you try not to aim subs or port up. You frequently see down firing designs. You will need to do some experimentation to see what works best in your case before building a new box, sure a ported type will help and a better amp likely will too.
kirill007 Posted March 24, 2014 Report Posted March 24, 2014 You are aiming the sub at the sky, bad on open type vehicles, can do a ported box there most likely but IMO it will underperform eitherway. The port should be aimed at the hull. Thinking is the root of all problems... You ALWAYS get what you pay for.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.