A little Help

I got a away with only having an 80 amp alt with a 2.2k amp, but I had a group 34agm up front and a h8 agm in the rear. The h8 is a big ass batt size that is put in the BMWs.... Yes, I dropped from 13.8 -14.2 down to battery voltage no lower than 12.4-12.2. Which is ok. voltage. The amps aren't in danger with that voltage, but you'd

like the higher voltage cause the amps will have higher output.

And no, I never needed to charge the batts, I don't have my music full blast all the time, and never at stop lights. No jam at stoplights is more so to not be a dick than the alt output being reduced. I do play my tunes loud alot, but there are times I just take it easy.

Batteries and alternators do not do the same thing, and no 12v battery will "make up" for an alternator.

In your original post you stated that you do not want headlight dimming. That's pretty hard to avoid since most OEM headlights brightness will vary with voltage. Even if we are talking a drop between 15v - 13V, that is still enough to make many vehicles headlights to "dim". Don't go by dimming, go by voltage. In the 12's is ok if it is just for a split second, but it puts a strain on your electrical system to do so, and in many cases your amp's too.

Batteries and alternators do not do the same thing, and no 12v battery will "make up" for an alternator.

In your original post you stated that you do not want headlight dimming. That's pretty hard to avoid since most OEM headlights brightness will vary with voltage. Even if we are talking a drop between 15v - 13V, that is still enough to make many vehicles headlights to "dim". Don't go by dimming, go by voltage. In the 12's is ok if it is just for a split second, but it puts a strain on your electrical system to do so, and in many cases your amp's too.

Here's your first post telling the guy to just run a SLA. HA HA great post. 2400 watts on a focus battery.

If the guy wanted to run a 2400 watt amp AGM front and rear with a factory alt is possible without ever having to manually charage the batteries or voltage drop below 12. Many systems the alt or even more than one hi output alt can't keep the voltage up above battery voltage, you think we not including you ha ha. run extra batteries to play with our CARS OFF LULZ......HA HA.....

Alts charge and batteries are the reserve of the alt for when the alt can't keep up.

You mis remember cause I never stating anything about about headlight dimming. I'll even post it for your memory purpose

what are good brands of batteries? and the battery in the back is that a different kind of battery?

He was telling me that I need a $120 Hi/Lo converter too, i think it was the LiC2 or something, thats something necessary?

Ebay has the AudioControl LiC2 for 80 bucks shipping, and if your going factory head unit and only want to amp the subs the LiC2

is a great pick Other wise I'd go LiC6 so you can amp the mids and highs. AudioControl products really cleans up factory radios.

You need a AGM battery up front and rear. With at lease one run of quality zero gauge wire. What I listed is the min I'd run.

For your original post check your grounds. What type cap do you have. If it came in a great wooden box with velvet it's a POS

there are alot of junk caps. Good Luck to you, looks like you've been given alot of bad advice. But your Alpine amp is good,

but it's a power hog. Please tell me you have 0/1 wire on that amp.

Headlight dimming where???....... As Steve Smith said "Ice up son"

Poorfish, I still can't quote posts from my home PC which is causing some confusion here I think.

Let me give this another go....

My post, #42 (which you quoted in your post #43) was directed at the OP. The first post of this thread the OP states he doesn't want to have dimming, which is what I was referring to in post #42.

When I said an extra 12v battery will not make up for a H.O. alternator I was answering another question the OP asked.

Extra batteries have their place, no doubt. But on a 2400W system (everything else equal), I will take 1 XS Power under the hood and a DC xp270 over the same system on an OEM alternator and 2 AGM's. Voltage will stay higher and his system and his car will be happier. Do you disagree?

You mention I am telling him to run a SLA. Where exactly do I mention an SLA? I looked, couldn't find it.

Hope that helps clear up what I was saying and who it was directed at.

I'm so confused now haha you guys just like argued about nothin.

But thanks for all the help and advice! Singer got back to me again today and said he might have a Denso that fits but he has no way to tell yet because my car is so new and he hasn't been able to get ahold of both cases yet. But my car did come 150 amp stock alt. so Hopwfully I'll be okay with 2 agms for now.

To do it 100 percent right you need a hi output alt. The higher the voltage the better for you, the amps will be play louder and run cooler.

Most newbies are afraid of a 500 dollar alt. So they go the cheapest path without blowing up their systems, which would be to add batteries ot a little 2400 watt system. With voltage drop I mentioned in the 12s which is nowhere near the voltage drop you were explaining.

A Singer alt wih the biggest XS power batt front and rear with 0/1 all around with a SMD volt meter would be the best. With that setup you would have almost no voltage drop. Sorry I confused you bro.

I was trying to get the HO alt but have had no luck, singer said:

"Your alternator comes as a 150 amp stock so the stator can't be rewound starting this large in your case.

The linked photos I think are the denso version but your car is so knew I have no method to find out yet (can't attain both cases to find out yet)

If the Denso did fit I can make you a 300A hairpin style upgrade for your vehicle."

So hopefully as some time passes hell be able to make a fit for my car, but until then I'll have to just run it off the batteries. I ordered a d4700 for up front, what would your recommendations be for the back battery?

I was trying to get the HO alt but have had no luck, singer said:

"Your alternator comes as a 150 amp stock so the stator can't be rewound starting this large in your case.

The linked photos I think are the denso version but your car is so knew I have no method to find out yet (can't attain both cases to find out yet)

If the Denso did fit I can make you a 300A hairpin style upgrade for your vehicle."

So hopefully as some time passes hell be able to make a fit for my car, but until then I'll have to just run it off the batteries. I ordered a d4700 for up front, what would your recommendations be for the back battery?

3400 or bigger

Archived