A little Help

Okay so before you go calling names and what not I know I really don't know much about car audio but I've been trying to learn!

So I got a really really good deal on an Alpine MRX-M240 on ebay and i took it to get installed, they just switched it out from my old sony amp, but the problem is the subs keep cutting out and I've tried to talk to the guys down at the audio store and they're just super stuck up and have no patience for me and its frankly annoying.

I have a 2013 Ford Focus SE with a stock head unit, the alpine amp, 2 kicker compR 12's, and a capacitor but not sure what brand.

(I know the subs probably can't handle that amp i plan to upgrade to two alpine type R's or Rocksford P3's.!!)

What i got out of the guys at the audio store was i think that there isn't enough power for the amp but I'm not sure if thats my only problem. I think it takes 14.4 volts. What would I need to upgrade the power in my car to be able to support that amp without my lights dimming significantly or the amp just cutting out completely.

Thanks for any help!!

a good place to start would be an upgraded battery up front, after that would be a second battery in the back, and beyond that would be a H.O. alt. with that amp i dont think you would need a H.O. alternator, but im not sure on the ratings of your stock alt.

This page is crispy_chick3n approved.

© crispy_chick3n inc

what are good brands of batteries? and the battery in the back is that a different kind of battery?

He was telling me that I need a $120 Hi/Lo converter too, i think it was the LiC2 or something, thats something necessary?

what are good brands of batteries? and the battery in the back is that a different kind of battery?

He was telling me that I need a $120 Hi/Lo converter too, i think it was the LiC2 or something, thats something necessary?

xs power is one that has good reputation with good reason

hi/lo converter what is this off the stock stereo? if not then no

the battery in back should be the same as under the hood a sealed AGM

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

Ebay has the AudioControl LiC2 for 80 bucks shipping, and if your going factory head unit and only want to amp the subs the LiC2

is a great pick Other wise I'd go LiC6 so you can amp the mids and highs. AudioControl products really cleans up factory radios.

You need a AGM battery up front and rear. With at lease one run of quality zero gauge wire. What I listed is the min I'd run.

For your original post check your grounds. What type cap do you have. If it came in a great wooden box with velvet it's a POS

there are alot of junk caps. Good Luck to you, looks like you've been given alot of bad advice. But your Alpine amp is good,

but it's a power hog. Please tell me you have 0/1 wire on that amp.

Shop may have done a shit ground, I've seen that happen a lot. Also check and see if your amplifier is going into protect, make sure its not at a .5 ohm or something (ie. the way the sub woofers are connected) That MRX shouldn't be below a 2 ohm load.

Also, do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket head unit, no point in scrawling around with a hi/lo converter unless you want to keep that stock unit.

Avalanche

Alpine Type S comps

Alpine Type S 10''

Alpine MPR-F300

Alpine MRX-M50

Mechamn 270

XS Power d3400s

Shop may have done a shit ground, I've seen that happen a lot. Also check and see if your amplifier is going into protect, make sure its not at a .5 ohm or something (ie. the way the sub woofers are connected) That MRX shouldn't be below a 2 ohm load.

Also, do yourself a favor and get an aftermarket head unit, no point in scrawling around with a hi/lo converter unless you want to keep that stock unit.

Yep, that's what I was thinking lazy shop guy connecting it to some shit seat bolt or worse.Lulz A power hog 2k with 4 gauge wire and a seat bolt.ha ha

For that amp to do rated a 2 ohms with 14.4v available, it needs to draw at least 167 amps.

To get true rated power out of that amp you need a beefy alternator. Your cap probably wont help in this case, but with a good alt and solid wiring you will be good.

My head unit has the ford sync in it so i don't want to get rid of that, but with the alternator where would i find one for my car I've googled and googled and haven't found one i have a 2013 ford focus SE.

I'm sure that he did leave it a the 4 ga wire when he installed the amp cuz they didn't even ask me to purchase new wiring. but not sure where its grounded to.

and the cap i got with my old amp its just a crappy $40 2 farad cap.

Ive been thinking about just downgrading my amp to a hifonics brutus and selling the alpine since its such power hog, but i just haven't decided yet. not sure how much cash i wanna sink into my sound system... but any advice is greatly appreciated! haha thanks

Archived