130 amp alternator enough for 1500 RMS?

Welding cable that I have seen has less strands and they are larger not a show stopper but it is a little different and you should be aware of that.

edit be aware not beware

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

SS Platinum AGM / XS Power XP750

Alpine PDX F-4 / Morel Maximo 5 + Coax 5

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

So according to the formula it is roughly just about 100 amps to power this 1,500 watt setup. I may be wrong here - I am not too keen on exactly how everything works. But wouldn't this be assuming that my system is running at full capacity all the time? I mean I'm not going to be constantly blasting it as loud as possible, and there are variables in the bass of music I listen to. Is this a factor in how much amperage is being consumed by my system?

Welding cable that I have seen has less strands and they are larger not a show stopper but it is a little different and you should be aware of that.

edit be aware not beware

Just as an answer, or reference, or which-'er-ever, ... the 1/0 weld cable I used/use is 1,267 strands of 30 gauge copper. Less than the - what I think is - ridiculous 4,000+++ strands of some sponsors on here? Yup, but works for me.

Big names here on SMD even use it on there entire systems too ... it is not just a neanderthal's "out" due to price, etc.

Zeke

'14

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo SS

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1

Fi IB3 (Two 12", 2-ohm SVC)

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

311-vector-logo_zps0d152f73.png sutliffSig_zpsb1df26dd.png

Welding cable is fine when you don't need the super flexible high strand wire. OFC true spec AWG and you are good to go regardless of strand count.

So according to the formula it is roughly just about 100 amps to power this 1,500 watt setup. I may be wrong here - I am not too keen on exactly how everything works. But wouldn't this be assuming that my system is running at full capacity all the time? I mean I'm not going to be constantly blasting it as loud as possible, and there are variables in the bass of music I listen to. Is this a factor in how much amperage is being consumed by my system?

Sonics website states 1/0 required and a 175 amp fuse. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_45518_Alpine-MRX-M240.html

why choose to limit yourself?

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

edit be aware not beware

Just as an answer, or reference, or which-'er-ever, ... the 1/0 weld cable I used/use is 1,267 strands of 30 gauge copper. Less than the - what I think is - ridiculous 4,000+++ strands of some sponsors on here? Yup, but works for me.

Big names here on SMD even use it on there entire systems too ... it is not just a neanderthal's "out" due to price, etc.

Wasn't knocking you bro just stating an observation I made.

2010 Mazda 3s 2.5L

Pioneer DEH-X9600BHS

Knu OFC 1/0 

IA 10.1 / SSA XCON 12 

Plus you have to remember how much amperage it is going to take to run your car (the computer, etc.), your other accessories - phone charger, other 12v "thingies", & other amps, etc.

Are you on a likely upgrade path to go "bigger" or more? Things to legitimately think about.

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Vehicle Details & Mod List: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/garage/vehicle/1703-chevrolet-monte-carlo-ss/

Audio Build Log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/143276-2003-chevy-monte-carlo-ss-audio-build-ib-build

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

not exactly. that would be the MAX amps that you would pull under MAX load. music is dynamic, so the power is never constant. you just use that as a way to plan for the worst case scenario.

I don't claim to know how to solve anything, I just practice the basics. There is nothing worse than wasting hours over a problem that should have taken 5 mins. Anything I post and claim to know, I know simply because of a lesson learned from a mistake on my part.

edit be aware not beware

Wasn't knocking you bro just stating an observation I made.

I sincerely was not taking it as a "knock" ... not a chance. Sorry if my response sounded cocky, & as I just re-read it, ... I can see how it sort of did.

Nothing could be further from the truth ... just the last thing I want to see in here is folks getting into a pissing match over is "car audio" cable vs. welding cable. You were deal right, almost every car/install/system/needs are different, & require a lot of aforethought ... Too bad most people do not give much aforethought to anything these days.

OP: Just make sure you use OFC cable ... throughout. Just satay away from Copper Clad Aluminum ... I suppose if you had to use it anywhere, ... use it from distro blocks to the amp(s).

BoomZoom808: I hope we are good, ... sincerely, Dude. :drinks:

Zeke

'14

MONTEside00030001.jpg

Pioneer FH-P8000BT

RF T400-2 & T500-1bdCP

MechMan S Series 240A

XS Power D3400 & D975

Plus you have to remember how much amperage it is going to take to run your car (the computer, etc.), your other accessories - phone charger, other 12v "thingies", & other amps, etc.

Are you on a likely upgrade path to go "bigger" or more? Things to legitimately think about.

This is the final step in my upgrade path. Up until now I have only ever used my MRP-M500 for all of my various subs I've had over the last 5(ish) years. I have honestly been plenty satisfied (though there are times where I wish the bass were louder). After getting this BTL which can handle so much more power than anything I have had previously I could not resist the temptation to upgrade the amp and see what it is really all about. Realistically, most of the time I probably wont play it much louder than it gets on my current amp. However, It would be nice to be able to go above and beyond what I currently have time to time when I feel like it.

Archived