Second Skin Audio

Looking to get feedback on an enclosure design...

BassDoctor

Edit: Please look at the post beneath this one for updated enclosure.

Hi guys.

Just got done with a rough model of an enclosure I may end up building for my car, wanted to get y'all thoughts on it. Bracing will be decided after I run some tests

Subwoofers: Tantric HD10 (inverted)

Amplifier: TBD, 3500w+

Ported 3 cubes when tuned to 50hz with 7x7port for comp, haven't decided on daily tuning just yet.

Sealed 1 cube

Interchangeable port will allow swap between daily and comp setup with various tunings and port dimensions ranging from 6x6 to 8x8

4hF6J5Y.pngLn3cD7x.png

My main concern is that the area around the port will be virtually useless, even though it accounts for 0.25cubes. My car has some odd dimensions, so I will still be looking into other configurations to run, this is just a rough sketch. Thanks!

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Singer 275A alternator with factory bypass

64 sqft SecondSkin Damplifier

Build to be decided

:peepwall:

Did a few modifications, much happier with this one. 3:1 cubes ported/sealed respectively. Interchangeable 7x7 port, the one in the model is tuned to ~50hz. Bracing to be decided after a stress test that I'm too lazy to conduct at the moment. Will likely add a few fillets if I can find the right bits to do a round over. The subwoofers will be inverted. Any comments are appreciated!

lR4F3Lz.png

:popcorn:

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Build to be decided

No love for SolidWorks models? I can give dimensions if needed, just don't have them written down anywhere.

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Build to be decided

Plans are for it to go into an 04 Honda Accord, port firing forwards with the trunk sealed off.

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Build to be decided

Looks nice, can I suggest something? Get some pvc pipe, and cut it in 1/4ths and put in the front baffle on the inside to create a round over on the corner. Also, what made you want to tune to 50?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I like your suggestion regarding the pvc, i was considering doing something like that on both the inner port edges as you had suggested, and for the corners where the subwoofer is firing into.

50hz is just a placeholder until I test the frequency of my car. I should be borrowing some equipment next week to determine it, and then I'll make adjustments to the model as I see fit.

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Build to be decided

That should help out with air flow in the box. From all of what I read, 4th orders should be tuned to the resonant frequency of the sealed section.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

That should help out with air flow in the box. From all of what I read, 4th orders should be tuned to the resonant frequency of the sealed section.

I've heard "resonant frequency sealed" thrown around, but I don't believe it is referring to the resonant frequency of the sealed section so much as the resonant frequency of the vehicle once it's sealed up. From my understanding, the enclosure reaches its peak near/at tuning. If you are trying to maximize SPL, you would want that peak to coincide with the peak in the vehicle, right?

04 Honda Accord LX Sedan

Kenwood Excelon X998

XS Power D3400

XS Power D1200

Build to be decided

I've heard "resonant frequency sealed" thrown around, but I don't believe it is referring to the resonant frequency of the sealed section so much as the resonant frequency of the vehicle once it's sealed up. From my understanding, the enclosure reaches its peak near/at tuning. If you are trying to maximize SPL, you would want that peak to coincide with the peak in the vehicle, right?

I don't think so, I could be wrong. I have tried to read a lot of 4th orders. I would say try both, build 2 different ports. One tuned to the sealed sections resonant frequency, which is what I have seen lots do and have great success. Then another port tuned to your cars peak frequency, and see which one benfits you more in daily and SPL aspects.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm