Second Skin Audio

Ohh ok so the length of the port does not affect area?? And so really you just have to find 2 numbers for the height and width of the port until you get the required port area. Which mine would be 193 so my port would have to be 16.5Hx11"Wx15"L which will give me a port area of 181.5" and the length of the port is just for tuning right?

No, length does not affect the area needed for the port.

When I was messing around with the design I made it was pretty much too hard to get much more than 170 in2.

As Bkolfo stated, you don't really need all that port area when inside of a car as a lot of other factors will make it hard to hear any noise generated by having too small of a port.

You can also flare/round-over the edges of the port to allow for the air to transition better than just having it as the flat 90 degree edge.

As for the length affecting tuning, yes it does. The larger the port area the longer a port will have to be to maintain the same tuning as a port with smaller area would have.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

With AQ woofers you don't need to tune real low, mid 30's at the lowest.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Archived