S15_Silvia's used car search saga

Hey guys. Finally looking to purchase a vehicle for myself. Right now I'm looking at this S60 R, but the one pic of the instrument cluster *LOOKS* like it's showing a CEL. Obviously that could mean one of dozens of things on a modern vehicle. Should I avoid this one?

Pic of said CEL, bottom right:

36247311682.364266367.IM1.14.565x421_A.5

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Do you have access to a code reader or even find out what the code is?

2007 Ford Ranger

(ALL YET TO BE INSTALLED - DUE TO WORK SCHEDULES)

K&N Performance Air Intake

Massive Audio D2400 Mono Amplifier

2 Custom Built 8" Subwoofers in Ported Enclosure

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In Dash Double Din DVD Player (Video Bypassed)

4 - Pioneer TS-A6886R 6" X 8"

2 - SMD Heavy Duty Single ANL Fuse Blocks

2- Stinger SPP1200 Dry Cell Batteries

JL AUDIO Interconnects

2/0 Gauge Big 3

ILL Customz 8 Spot Flat Lug Style Bolt Down Terminals

ILL Customz 1/0 to 4 Gauge Power / Ground Reducers

Factory Alternator

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

2002 Cheverlot Monte Carlo SS - (Deceased)

2 - Rockford Fosgate Power 1501BD
1 - Rockford Fosgate Power 851x
Rockford Fosgate Power 6 1/2 Components
Rockford Fosgate Power 3 way 6x9
2 - JL Audio W7 13.5" Subwoofers (Sealed)
Pioneer AVH-P4400BH In - Dash DVD Player
Pioneer AVIC - U250 - Add-on GPS Navigation System
Audio Control 6XS 4 Way Crossover / Line Driver
Ohio Generator 200 Amp Alternator
3 - Stinger SPP1200 Batteries
1 - Optima D34/78 Battery

Your right up my ally bro. Was a volvo tech for 9 years. First off , make sure its a check engine light and not the " service light". It would display a " Time for Maintenance" message in the lower left hand of the cluster. Will display for about a minute before shutting off every time the key is turned on. Also, check engine light can be for A LOT of things. Just to worn you, these cars can be MONEY PITS!!! If you have teh code scanned, I can more then likely direct you in the way of the repair. How many miles, year of the car is it?

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

True. I'm probably going to check the car out tomorrow. It's very attractive because it's the 6 speed model...I'll probably nag the s*** out of the dealer if it is indeed a CEL.

My feedback thread

See if you can get codes pulled.

A couple of years ago I test drove an 02 Blazer, and in the middle of my test drive, the entire dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. They wanted $3000 for it, but I KBB'd it when we went to look it over and it was really only $1200 in that condition. Took it back, said "not interested" and informed him that the CEL came on and he goes "that's normal for a car with that many miles". I basically told him to F off lol. Believe it or not, it was actually being sold at a repair shop.

2016 Ford Focus SE

No build log yet
DC Audio 1.2K
2x DC Audio Level 2 10"

Your right up my ally bro. Was a volvo tech for 9 years. First off , make sure its a check engine light and not the " service light". It would display a " Time for Maintenance" message in the lower left hand of the cluster. Will display for about a minute before shutting off every time the key is turned on. Also, check engine light can be for A LOT of things. Just to worn you, these cars can be MONEY PITS!!! If you have teh code scanned, I can more then likely direct you in the way of the repair. How many miles, year of the car is it?

It's a 2004 S60 R with about 101,000 on the odo.

My feedback thread

The engine are solid on those. Transmissions are pretty solid too. If the clutch needs to be repalced at any time $$$$$$. It has a dual mass flywheel and cannot resurface

the flywheel like a traditional flywheel( $1000 for the parts alone and about 10hours in labor). Also common problems, radiator leaks passenger side lower tank, control arm bushings break, strut mounts, struts leak,BRAKES!!!! ( and these have stock Brembo brakes and also very expensive ), AWD transfer case leaks, goes through tires pretty quickly. Not trying to spook you, but just tryingelp you to out. Scan the code and let me know. If possible, have it scanned and a printout of the codes stored from Volvo. They are weird about codes and have a lot of manufacturere specific codes

2006 GMC Yukon
Pioneer HU

SHCA ran throughout

Crescendo BC3500

One 18 AA Mayhem in a 4th order

ZED Levithian 6 channel

Rainbow Dual 6.5 comps ran Active
matt142-1-1.jpg
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/155628-matt14s-yukon-mayhem-in-a-4th-ordernew-amps-and-bats/page-3

Archived