mid's and high's problem

vw passat

hi guys iv just bought the 2 pairs of kicker 11ks65.2 and a kicker kx 400.4 amplifier.

my hu is alpine cde hd 149bt

so the problem is iv set my gains on the amp with the dd-1 and I left the hpf on the amp at 80hz but from my hu Iv left the hpf for the rear and front on 125hz and a it has a 6,12,18 and 24db slope I set it at 12db slope but after 10minutes the grill of the tweeters it came hot. can some one help me to set them the right way? and I can remove the kicker crossovers and I connect the mids on the1st channel and the tweeters on the 2nd channel? and my kicker amp. thanks guys but im confused

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding what it is you're saying here but if you're high-passing the signal to the tweets @ 125Hz (regardless of how steep the slope might be) it's no wonder they're getting hot. It's a wonder they haven't blown already if that's the case. A tweet is usually crossed over between 2kHz and 4kHz or so.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

I don't know if I'm misunderstanding what it is you're saying here but if you're high-passing the signal to the tweets @ 125Hz (regardless of how steep the slope might be) it's no wonder they're getting hot. It's a wonder they haven't blown already if that's the case. A tweet is usually crossed over between 2kHz and 4kHz or so.

Well done. Well said. And, i see it exactly the way you do.........

thanks guys for reply me back im using the kicker crossover they came with the components it have input midrange tweeter. and on my amp im on hpf. but the tweeters thank god are still working for now :). what can I do I hook them up to the amp directly instead of using the kicker crossover? (the one that came with the components)

The tweets alone need to be connected directly to the amp with the amp's high-pass setting @ 3kHz or so @ 12dB/octave or higher. 2kHz is on the low side for inexpensive tweets and could possibly blow them. You might ask Kicker or look at the owner's manual to see where Kicker has set the X-over point for these components. Your mid-woofers will need an amp of their own just like the tweets and the subwoofer if you have one.

2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3L 4x4 Ext.-cab

"Enjoy yourself. It's later than you think."

Archived