Jared Young Posted April 2, 2014 Report Posted April 2, 2014 I'm going to be building a single 18 inch ported box for my RE SX18D2. It's gonna be going in a Toyota matrix. Max dimensions: Width 40.5in Height 17in Depth 20in I've never really built anything like this before so tips would be much appreciated.
Joe X Posted April 2, 2014 Report Posted April 2, 2014 Had to go a bit taller, needs 4 3/4" of free airspace in front of the port, amp subsonic filter to 28Hz, power around sub rated:
Jared Young Posted April 2, 2014 Author Report Posted April 2, 2014 Thanks I really appreciate it I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it built.
Joe X Posted April 2, 2014 Report Posted April 2, 2014 Your welcome, let me know if you need any changes.
Jared Young Posted April 3, 2014 Author Report Posted April 3, 2014 On the port extension where it says 1/4x16 3/4 is that a 4th inch piece the bottom of the L?
Joe X Posted April 3, 2014 Report Posted April 3, 2014 Yes, for the stated tuning the extension part is 1/4" long but it's so small that you can dismiss it or do it a bit larger and it makes no difference since a fraction of a Hz of tuning difference is completely inaudible.
Jared Young Posted April 3, 2014 Author Report Posted April 3, 2014 Gotcha thanks for the clarification, I was just confused because it was so small, I'll probably go ahead and add it anyway.
Jared Young Posted April 3, 2014 Author Report Posted April 3, 2014 Also I'll be going to Lowe's tomorrow to get the MDF. On the site it says they sell it in sheets of 48x96. Will they custom cut them for me or will I just need to get 2 and cut them myself? And when you said I'd need 4 3/4" free air space in front of the port that means it can't be right up against the trunk? Because at 40.5 in it will be maybe .5-1 inch away from my trunk when it's closed.
Krakin Posted April 3, 2014 Report Posted April 3, 2014 They should be able to custom cut it for you. Don't expect real nice cuts. If I have to get them done there, I normally just get the biggest cuts done and then do the rest myself at home. Krakin's Home Dipole Project http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370 Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist? I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . . What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself but what has drawn your attention in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears, thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.
Joe X Posted April 3, 2014 Report Posted April 3, 2014 Also I'll be going to Lowe's tomorrow to get the MDF. On the site it says they sell it in sheets of 48x96. Will they custom cut them for me or will I just need to get 2 and cut them myself? And when you said I'd need 4 3/4" free air space in front of the port that means it can't be right up against the trunk? Because at 40.5 in it will be maybe .5-1 inch away from my trunk when it's closed. The port clearance is very important, check the figure below to see how the box is positioned and where the clearance needs to exist, also if you could link a pic (yours or from the web) of your trunk area, it would be great: If there's not enough clearance the port direction may need to be changed up.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.