98 Chevy pickup small audio build - SOTM prizes installed

This is a small build in my 1998 Chevy pickup. I don't really post much here anymore, but since I used the SOTM prizes that I won a long time ago, I feel it's only right to show you guys that they are finally installed.

The biggest challenge of this build was that the truck doesn't have carpet. It's a base model truck which has the rubber floor (I guess it's rubber).

The audio system consists of:
Deck: JVC KDS100
Mids/Highs: Rockford Fosgate Power T162S
Mids/Highs Amp: Rockford Fosgate Power T4002
Woofers: (2)Rockford Fosgate Punch P3 shallows (SOTM prize)
Woofers Amp: Rockford Fosgate Punch P5001 (SOTM prize)
Enclosure: (2) Q Logic pickup truck boxes (SOTM prize) - rewired with SHCA wire
Sound deadening: Second Skin Damplifier
Wiring: Some SHCA, some KNU, and some other things that I had in my wire bins

First things first, the OEM battery terminals were replaced with Rockford Fosgate GM side post terminals.
1batterms_zpsb8c9a9cd.jpg

My wife soldered up the radio harness.
2jvc_zps8878dabd.jpg

The bezel for the deck was painted black previously.
2jvc1_zpsbda0e275.jpg

Time for some sound deadening. If there's one thing I've learned, it's to do this first.
The interior was stripped.
7matt2_zpsa41d429a.jpg
7matt3_zps26b2c1f2.jpg

I went for a ride like this, just cause.
7matt4_zps73dcd2ed.jpg

Deadening pics.
7matt6_zps1a9625d1.jpg
7matt5_zps1a692e46.jpg
7matt10_zpsefca0932.jpg
7matt8_zps283f6ef3.jpg
7matt9_zpsb95a00f4.jpg

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

Fuse holders - one is for the batt + to rear distribution block, one is for batt + to alt +, and one is for an auxiliary fuse block inside the truck for various accessories.

I saw my man Tony Candela using ABS plastic in some of his installs, so I gave it a try. I love it.

5fuseblock1_zpseb91d4ad.jpg
5fuseblock2_zps1c8259fb.jpg
5fuseblock3_zpsc1daf216.jpg
5fuseblock4_zps31b5bcb2.jpg
5fuseblock6_zps63eae396.jpg
5fuseblock11_zpse488d105.jpg

The aux fuse panel is for some other things. During this build, I also installed keyless entry, and will be rewiring the HVAC blower to a 4 relay setup as soon as the weather gets nicer.

3powerdist_zps38c163d8.jpg
3powerdist2_zps5d91c6dd.jpg
3powerdist5_zps9daa1c74.jpg

It's a little busy under here so it's hard to show everything. The keyless/relay mount bolts to existing holes in the dash frame.

3powerdist8_zps573e2fbb.jpg

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

On to the doors.

This is a blown mid that was gutted...easier to use this then a real mid. The back was hitting the window. Well, so much for just dropping these in.

4speakers_zps21f57c5e.jpg

I bought some 1/2" mdf spacers and painted them to (hopefully) resist moisture. The door "modules" aren't perfectly flat, so I added a piece of damplifier between the spacers and door to seal them up. The pic looks like there is a gap on the right side, but it is sealed up.

4speakers1_zpsa6d19fe5.jpg

No, you're not drunk. This is the only pic that I got of the molex connectors for the tweets and of course it came out blurry. Since the tweets are mounted to the door panels, these connectors make it a snap to remove the door panel without having to cut/solder the tweet leads every time. I can't remember if I saw these in the Hoopty build or the Tahoe build, but that's where I got the idea from.

4speakers3_zps2215c194.jpg

4speakers2_zps2734b675.jpg

While the doors were apart, I installed and wired up the lock actuators. This truck didn't have power locks/keyless and it sucked. Two of the relays in the aux panel are for these.
6lockpop_zpsda1ee068.jpg
6lockpop2_zpscbe2fc61.jpg

Kinda out of order, but there was some more wiring.
8wiring1_zpsb248a021.jpg
8wiring2_zps193baae0.jpg
8wiring_zpsa9e08d7d.jpg

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

I made some cardboard mockups of the gear. Another SMD tip that I used.
9templates_zps3cda1e71.jpg
9templates1_zpsa3b0603b.jpg

Nothing fancy here. I made some mounts for the amps and stuff and it all fell into place.
10seatsout_zpsa6f1d2f5.jpg
10seatsout1_zpsff93735b.jpg

Well, there's not really much else to see. I never took pics of the finished wiring under the hood but it's nothing that you guys probably haven't seen a hundred thousand times before. With the interior back in, asides from the tweets in the doors and the radio, it looks like an ordinary single cab pickup - but it doesn't sound like one.

I can say this - I love the way that this thing sounds. It's a huge improvement over stock and between the audio and deadening, it's fun to drive now. Well, except for the gas mileage. I've read some bad reviews on shallow mount subs, but I have no complaints with these. The frequency response is flat and is has enough kick to compliment the mids/highs.

I made a few quick vids playing some stuff. Had to use photobucket since the youtube police are getting less and less leinient.

Vid 1 - Played some Method Man from back in the day.

th_hauler1_zps6808bd2b.jpg

Vid 2 - Played some Slayer from back in the day. I would have played some GWAR but didn't have any of their stuff on my flash drive.

th_hauler2_zps2e78b30f.jpg

So like I said, I don't really post here much but I wanted to show that I used the SOTM prizes. I had a few offers to sell and when my son was born I really could have used the cash, but these things have a sentimental value that is priceless. As far as the system in my Trailblazer - everything is still the same except my man Hobby built me a lower tuned box since I don't compete anymore. And since everyone here loves kicker I'm happy to report that the Kicker L7s are still alive and well.

GuEMAcB_zps08015839.png

Another GMT400 ... Nice !!!

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived