Second Skin Audio

Dust cap gets a little warm

If you in the future find that you are not clipping for sure, and find that the dust cap is still getting warm and not hot. This is just the way that subwoofer cools itself. The dust cap pulls in and pushes out the air around the coil to cool it.

When that air passes the coil and is then pressed up against the dust cap some of that heat will transfer causing the dust cap to warm up.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

If you in the future find that you are not clipping for sure, and find that the dust cap is still getting warm and not hot. This is just the way that subwoofer cools itself. The dust cap pulls in and pushes out the air around the coil to cool it.

When that air passes the coil and is then pressed up against the dust cap some of that heat will transfer causing the dust cap to warm up.

Absolutely true. Energy has a tendency to dissipate into heat. Subwoofers are kinetic energy at its easiest to understand form. Energy in motion...

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Ok so im not a 100% noob lol i know a little more then the basics. I have a pt cruiser with stock alt stock wiring, hc1200 up front(no batteries in back) and 1 run of OFC 1/0 shca, my amp is the saz2500v2 and sus are (2) hds300 12s in a custom box. Now heres my question. My dust caps are getting warm after like 5 mins of playing. I dont beleive they are clipping because my gain is literally bearly on. My voltage drops to 11.8 ish when going hard on it (lol "going hard") so could my subs be 'clipping' just a tad bit cuz of my voltage drop?

Aah so your 16 eh,i see your post ect on woofergram.

Anyways it is possible you are soft clipping. When you set your gains,your voltage is probably near 14v. When your playing music or burping and you dip to 11v then you may actually be clipping because your speaker output,amplifier efficiency,THD ect.. all these factors change with different voltage. Most class D amps will start creating square waves sooner at lower voltages because the power supply can only give a ratio of power before it starts to clip.

I have two soundqubed 3500's strapped to one sundown nsv2 hybrid. The lower my voltage drops the more distortion and heat is sent to the sub. It is normal for the cap to get around 110f ect. Especially if you have a pole plug installed. If it is too hot to touch it is most definetly clipping.

For just a saz 2500 to dip you into 11v means you have alot of wiring to upgrade. If your alt is in decent condition,with a front bat and rear battery with everything connected with 0 guage copper i would say you should be stable around 12/13v at 1 ohm.

Just tag me if you need help on instagram juss1o

Archived