Virgin Canvas 2001 GMC Jimmy

Hey fellas, Just picked up a (new to me) used truck. It was sorta spur of the moment thing today really. My gf and I have been talking about getting a vehicle for her daughter. But not having to purchase one til July, I was still getting a bazillion "S-10 craigslist ads"sent to my phone and email thanks to my lovely gf. lol. I stopped studying my Chem and took a break. lol. Hopped in the car and drove.

I found this 2001 GMC Jimmy on a crappy car lot. I had my trusty OBDll reader with me and proceeded to inspect and drive this Jimmy. 235,000 mi. but in REALLY good shape for her age. She pretty much purred at idle! She did have some codes. P0: 0410,420,42, and 46. "Secondary air-fuel pump" and "Cat". The 0410 can trigger all the other codes, so I will fix the 2ndary pump first, than maybe the O2 sensors which is what may trigger the "Cat" codes from what I have read.

She's a virgin canvas so to speak. I have yet to put in a system. The goal is to fix her up and let my girlfriend's daughter drive her around. Nothing better than a cutie in a cool ride. I never had one a cool ride in H.S. Doesn't mean she can't.

Not much to look at but still a nice SUV.

For 13 yr old paint, she looks garage kept which is nice.

00N0N_92kkSFlrO2k_600x450_zpse4f7bb38.jp

Her body is straight which was the #1 CRITERIA I was looking for. If she was in an accident. I stopped looking.

00000_jHy1XdboMi7_600x450_zpsf53da90f.jp

The inside reeks of smoke, but at least the seats are intact! Back seats are untouched! My gf's daughter and her bf can

clean/detail her....they're young! :D

00O0O_ibFkH0B4tbL_600x450_zps73b8f5a2.jp

The part I know she will love. I love it. OEM Sunroof

00X0X_4fPnwZDKNPE_600x450_zpsfda68c40.jp

This is my goal in the next few months. Simple, clean, low, and LOUD. GF and her daughter love the idea.

blazer2la2_zps8798eb83.jpg

blazer4gq3_zps27bb1113.jpg

Here are the subs to choose from.

1 used Rockford Fosgate T0D212 I'll need to get another one to match.

2 NWB Coustic CF1244's. Too bad I can't find two more!

1 NWB Skar VVX 15D2. I'll need to get another one to match.

1 NWB Hifonics Olympus 2415. No way I can find another one!

2 used American Bass XD 12's. Still stiff. A guy on CL has a pair for $99. So that's 4 12's!!!! Maybe?

What ever I do not use, I will sell on Ebay. So I have to decide in a day or so. SO GLAD I HELD ONTO MY HI OUTPUT ALTY! 200A DB Electric Baby!!

IMAG4811_zps9320a099.jpg

Here are the Mid/Tweets NIB ORION HCCA 5.25'S

IMAG4812_zps95ff70db.jpg

Still need the amps. I have this Xtant X1001 and I will have 2 Crossfire VR602's at my disposal. :D

IMAG4813_zps4460e1b7.jpg

Any ideas will be much appreciated. I was thinking some sort of bandpass to maximize the low frequencies. I just do not want her to blow the subs trying to impress her friends. So I have to be logical here. I was thinking American Bass for now. Cheap and if they blow, they blow. Not out of much $$. Her brother toasted the first sub I gave him. He has not blown the system I installed which is good!

-Frank

Four of those XD12's sealed on like 1kw would be fine for the electrical, louder than anyone else at her school. They are only like 300w rms anyway, iirc.

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

• 2 weeks later...

And the work has started. I do alittle here and there day by day. Nice 30 in break from all the chemistry I am studying.

Felt some grinding.......

IMAG4841_zpsd16d48ff.jpg

IMAG4843_zps75f89b7c.jpg

Picked up an Old school JVC KD LX-111. No cage, No problem, No remote, No problem, No bezel, No problem.

Why No problem? Cause she cost me $42.00 and my gf picked up the remote for $8.00 on Ebay! And necessity is the mother of invention.........

Made me a flush face/recessed bracket out of spare pieces of wood I had laying around. Ran over to Joann Fabrics and picked up some matte black vinyl.

IMAG4857_zpscf882649.jpg

Sorry for the graininess. Alittle hard to see,..sort of my point! Stealth mode baby!

VIDEO0721_0000022159_zpseb7491d0.jpg

Talked the guys down to $325.00 OTD. Ruff Racing R280's. 18x8 upfront, and 18x9.5 rears. DEEP DISH REAR WHEELS BABY! Bolt pattern is 5x114.3. I have 5x120 so

I will have to get spacers made. Need all new rubber all the way around.

She also needs her entire suspension done. 235,000+ miles and the ball joints areall popping. lol.

IMAG4855_zps8ce43325.jpg

IMAG4856_zps37b1fa76.jpg

-Frank

• 1 month later...

So it's been a few wks since I posted. Man time flies. Ok, so things I had to fix before the system.

My garage. She spent about 3 wks in here.

IMAG4926_zps29acc8d9.jpg

She had a radiator leak, so I installed a new rad and got rid of all the shit that was in the heater core.

Shortly there after she sprung a heater return line leak. lol. Had to fix that. About $110.00 spent.

IMAG4836-1_zps7446a4ce.jpg

Next problem, she had a groaning sound from the left rear. Turns out it was the axle shaft bearings.

Spent the day removing the outer bearings, but than decided to just rip out the whole transaxle and replace

the pinion bearings since my old man always told me "If one bearing is bad......they're all......." Words of wizdom!

Inner diff. bearings!!!! Yikes. All the bearings were shot! Spent about $64 on the complete bearing kit.

IMAG5049-1_zps9d250045.jpg

Could not for the life of me get the inner race off the diff. carrier. When in doubt, grind it out!

IMAG5128_zps56b7742d.jpg

A labor of love. My gf was pissed the house smelled like 80W-90 gear oil. It really smelled bad!!!!

IMAG5142_zps5d344e9a.jpg

Pressing in the new races and bearings presented a new problem. The diff. bearing spacers would not fit!!! WTFFFF!!!!

Had to call Gear Works and drive out to Clearwater to pick up the shims. $18.00 well spent. What a relief!

Did the entire diff for $82.00! Would have cost me about $250 labor + $125 bearing kit (non-Ebay price)

And yes, I did check the backlash with a digital gauge, and toe/heel/coast/drive with the yellow stuff. Proud of myself!

IMAG5155_zps9f65320e.jpg

Found this Pioneer AH-P3200DVD for $100 OTD, so I took out the JC EL Kameleon CD Player.

Going to have to tweek the bezel to make it fit right.

IMAG5099_zpsd0f3b4bc.jpg

Found these Polk 6.5's coaxial, as well 6.5 component set for $65.00 NIB total! Saved $135 off retail!

IMAG5083_zpse783ff86.jpg

Found some spacers for $47.00/ free shipping. 1" thickness. 5x4.75 to 5x4.50 conversion. So I was able to install and test fit

the wheels. Man she needs to be lowered! I can move the rear wheels <1/2" more outwards, but without having to pay the

custom spacer price I am happy with the 1.25" spacers I bought just now! The 1" will be fine since once you lower a vehicle, the

control arms will swing outwards and probably match up with the 1.25" rear spacers! (thinking logically)

IMAG5193_zps96c76626.jpg

IMAG5194_zpsd110a11a.jpg

She is a hell of alot quieter now!......Well, my gf drove it today, and I was in the passenger seat. She does have a grindy sensation on the right front. Guess might as well put in new hub assemblies. Still staying well with in my $1000 budget.

I found an other Coustic CF1244 sub, bought it for $120 shipped. Coming out of Kansas. So that's 3 12's. 2.67Ohms on Xtant X1001 amp.

The manual says 1000W @ 1 or 2 ohms. These things are unrated so probably @ 1200 @ 2 Ohms since she takes a 120 amp fuse.

Next, the dreaded engine check light. Once that is fixed. I can redo the front end, all new ball joints....than paint,.....than the system!!!!

We all agreed on a paint job........

blazerold_zps5a6f5901.jpg

-Frank

After seeing the door panel prices on Ebay, I decided to remove them and fiberglass what I could. Man they were really shot.

Held together by bolts drilled through the plastic......WTF REALLY!?!

IMAG4884_zps9791fad3.jpg

I kept getting soaked with this Florida rain. Here is why. Had to fix this as well. New $56 each side. Alternative??

$11.00 3M molding tape, acetone to remove the old stuff....and elbow grease to fix.

IMAG5065_zps694d4c34.jpg

Let the games begin!

Installed the new belt tensioner. The prior owner must have been super cheap not to replace the original tensioner. I was able to press it down with little to no real resistance!

Also installed the 220A DB Electric High Output Alternator!

Stinger 0 gauge wire to be installed soon! I have about 25 ft. of it. Alittle over kill for a bi-amp system, but at least we can always upgrade to tri-amp system in the future. I should have enough for the bid three.

Next thing is the Optima Yellow Top battery. Currently have a crappy Wal*Mart "N-everlast" battery. Sticker says 2010.

*** For anyone who reads this. You can use the Coupon code TRT30 on AdvanceAutoParts.com is good for 30% off- $50.00 max.

So that brings that the Optima down from $232.99 to $182.99! That's about the best price I have seen!

IMAG5209_zpsd8ea0c40.jpg

Old skool Coustic sub #3 arrived! Did a little test fitting.I really like this CF subs!

I REALLY want a ported enclosure, but that would be about 5.25cf plus the slot port. The box in the pic is internally 3.78cf. If I do a sealed I can get away with pretty much the same dimensions. Tweaking the enclosure to take up the space along the curved areas on the side. I can get back about 3-4" of trunk depth.

I'm debating +db with ported or sonic accuracy with a sealed.

XTANT X1001 amp to push them

002_zpsf3d78f7d.jpg

Archived