Virgin Canvas 2001 GMC Jimmy

First in-car test of the sub. Moves air about 4 ft!

Bad camera mic, it does not sound this way in person.

Turned up to 65. I can play this song to 68 on the knob.

I showed her- her sub, than the T1's, which she said was obviously louder.

That should change when I have 2 15's in the Jimmy.

-Frank

The first sub the leads flopped and kept hitting the cone. I had to glue them to the spider.

This time I sewed the leads in like the originals. Broke 2 needles, and stuck my fingers a few times in the process!

These subs better SLAM!

Glued in the spider. Ran out of CA glue, after dropping in the cone. Just needs another 1/8" bead pass to fill in the small pockets here and there.

IMAG1360_zpsgpjxqzur.jpg

-Frank

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the new AD-244 last night and the tensioner was tapping due to reaching it's unwind limit, noticed with the AC on. No tapping at idle with AC off.

So I did some measuring.

The new AD-244 has a 52.3mm pulley.

The stock CS-130 has a 60.3mm pulley.

So this adds 8mm to the belt.

I tried a 94.5" belt since the 4.3L Vortec motor has a 95" belt, but it was too small.

Instead, I measured the idler pulley. It measured 90mm.

So AdvanceAuto happen to have a 98.4mm pulley. EXACTLY what I needed to make up the slack of the alternator pulley!

Superimposed top view. Stock on top, larger underneath.IMAG1394_zpscabxcngt.jpg

SIde by side comparison.

IMAG1393_zpsduan5v1x.jpg

IMAG1395_zps6t6tayxg.jpg

Mounted.

IMAG1397_zpsagpst3ie.jpg

Stays at 14-14.1V. Drops to 13.8V when the low notes hit. Much better than 10V and the radio cuts out and turns back on. lol.

Let's see if Shawn from CustomAlternators in Ca makes a good product.

I am going to email him to tell him, it's not 100% bolt on, it needs mods damn it!!!!!!! :)

-Frank

They called me off again. Oh well. More time to buy and build.

Def. much louder then before. voltage at 13.8V.

Showed Lisa the system. Love Lisa's reaction. When the Bass Mechanix test song plays you hear her saying "Oh no" because she knows what that means. It has that low note that I like. I cut the vid off just as the note was hitting damn it!

Devin hasn't appreciated it yet. Too bad. The 12's come out tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un38qYOaQ8k

-Frank

Most of the enclosure is built. Made a double baffle.

IMAG1402_zpsgjdmcvoa.jpg

The outer ring is exactly 15.5", should have made it alittle bit bigger. The sub con-sealer ring drops in tightly, no real room for carpet. I'll try a round off bit first. I still have enough mdf to make a new top baffle.

IMAG1403_zpseqcdatpb.jpg

Next the port.

-Frank

sell the bmw

take the Jimmy from Devin, and buy Lisa the Volvo.

You'll end up in the Volvo anyway :)

I may look at this Volvo soon with Lisa.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2006-Volvo-C70-c5964#listing=101696304

Maybe trade in both vehicles for it.

Only thing is I no not ONE thing about Volvo C70's or Volvo for that matter.

I did read that it will require a new timing belt at 105,000, wonder if that is why they traded it in with these miles.

I'm proficient in timing chains. :) So it's do-able!

Very little complaints about these cars in particular. We looked at the Chevy Equinox, and it has 106 reported problems, mostly excessive oil consumption!!

Some of the C70's seem to have a voltage drain gremlin I keep seeing pop up- but still very few reports overall. Battery killer. Most poeple keep jumper cables in the trunk. lol.

-Frank

The timing belt isnt too awfully difficult. Theres several other things that need be replaced at that time though. Water pump, timing belt tensioner, might as well do the vvt cam gear as well since it will most likely leak around 140k.

There is a special little tool that locks the cams in place aswell that you will need. Its not a difficult thing to rig up though, ours is laying around somewhere

On 1/4/2013 at 9:31 PM, HatersGonnaHate said:

Wow. 184 posts and I think you're a fucking asshole.

Archived